Talking The Code Saturday 30th December

Sorry for the confusion! We’ll add a notification to “recently completed” pages like this that the event just finished and is awaiting upload. It also looks like the question timestamps are wrong. Le sigh, will troubleshoot.

We should be able to get that sorted and uploaded by say 5pm or so NYC time tomorrow.

1 Like

Great stuff, I look forward to seeing it and it was blast hanging out with you all. I hope to see more soon.

Sorry I could only make the first 20 minutes! Had family over so had to pretend to be sociable instead! Looked really good though, look forward to watching it back.

I really had a nice time watching it and trying some of the different picking mechanics that Troy was showing. Some were pretty far away from the way I am used to picking, but really neat to try them and see how they feel. Nice job and a lot of fun!

Any idea of when the video will be uploaded, didn’t have the opportunity to watch live.

Troy said today perhaps, although I wouldn’t hold him to that as I’m sure he wants to party on New Years Eve instead of editing videos.

I’m going to revise that estimate to “tomorrow”, not for holiday reasons, but because there’s a fair amount of busy work involved trimming out the dead air time that is more acceptable in a live format than a recorded one. We’ll update when it’s available.

2 Likes

Ok we’re up:

https://troygrady.com/channels/talking-the-code/introduction-to-picking-motion/

If you missed the live version, fret not (ahem). With most of the technical difficulties trimmed out and a few more cutaway examples included, this is probably a more watchable lecture than the live one, so you’re in luck.

More importantly, this is easily the most complete overview of common picking motions that we have done. We’re addressing arm and hand position and movement, including practical advice for achieving these things, that has been sorely lacking in our instructional stuff to this point.

If it seems like we’re going backwards in addressing basics things that we should have covered right off the bat, I think it’s only because a lot of this stuff is way more complicated than we initially imagined. We were certainly guilty of underestimating what a challenge some of these movements can be for players who don’t have them yet. Or even those that do.

That these are ostensibly the most popular picking movements in use, and yet few if any players actually use them all, only underscores how many variables are at play. Some of the topics we address here, like wrist anchoring and offset, and the blended nature of picking movements like forearm rotation, are not at all obvious and I probably couldn’t have even given this talk a few years ago.

We’ll probably chapterize this for the Pickslanting Primer eventually, maybe with some more player examples and animation references for the anatomical stuff.

6 Likes

Thank you @Troy, @Brendan and the rest of the CtC team.

3 Likes

I can’t view it! :slightly_smiling_face::upside_down_face::slightly_smiling_face::upside_down_face::slightly_smiling_face:

:bear:

This stuff will make its way into the Primer eventually.

2 Likes

:kiss::kiss:

(this post was at least 2 kisses)
:bear:

I missed the live broadcast-due to busy holiday schedule :)-but I’m watching it now. I’m halfway through and it really is great. I consider CTC to be a milestone in guitar education and this one sums it really nicely. Great job, Troy!

2 Likes

I couldn’t wait so I already started watching the recording yesterday at the airport then I continued watching at home home with my guitar in my hands.

I couldn’t believe how much I still had to discover about my picking hand motion. I particularly enjoyed the hand anatomy part (Andy Wood), because it helped me analyze what I was doing wrong while my brain was thinking that I am doing strict DWPS. I need to practice more while applying these new findings and see how I progress.

Good stuff!

2 Likes