Technique Critique DWPS

Feel like I could use some critiques!

1 Like

Hi Murphy!

Anything specific you’d like advice on?

Overall this is pretty good but if I had to nitpick I did hear some slight hand synchronization problems. A good first step to fix them could be to start becoming aware of them and trying to hear them as they happen in real time.

Step “zero” would be to listen back to your recording and check if you can hear where these synchronization problems happen — you can also reduce the playback speed on youtube if it helps.

By the way, were you intending to create a public TC on the forum, or were you intending to use the TC platform? This is the forum one :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey thanks for the response! sorry about posting that here, i just found out how to post actual technique critiques…but picking seems to just feel kind of clunky all of a sudden. sort of awkward, like im not hitting the strings correctly. not sure if its switching over to the les paul style bridge or not. im noticing maybe some garage spikes, ive watched over the videos about them and cant seem to really make sense of the cause of them myself. basically what im saying is my pick attack does not feel smooth at the moment i just cant pinpoint it. on pedal type riffs i notice i will hit the string above especially if i am pedaling on the A string i will start to hit the low E sometimes as well… sorry for the long answer, just some things i am struggling with at the moment. thanks for your time

I made a video last night for this but wanted to make it again in a shortened version, but for some reason my OBS is refusing to record now… Perhaps got tired of my shit bedside videos? lol
Here it is if it helps at all. Two main points were use a different pick and just do a pattern across the strings so you’re not thinking about fretting. I often use difficult picks to increase my picking ability, but if I had to go on stage n play I’d use certain picks that I know won’t get caught in the strings. What pick are you using?

When I say pointy pick I mean long pointy picks you know, a short one like a jazz 3 will work fine.
Something else to keep in mind is asending fretting is way easier than descending. As when you do descending patterns your fingers have to lift up fully to let the string ring, but ascending has a lot more leeway in how accurate your fretting is as you’ve little risk of muteing.

And when I say a rounded tip will let you release the strings quicker, I mean smoother. A rounded tip is acually slower in it’s release of the strings, vs a pointed pick, but a long pointed pick depending on it’s shape can get stuck a lot.

Here’s another that might help. Anything you can do that adds extra information to your brain will help you adapt, This is going beyond the normal skill technique talk, but it’s legit stuff, have you ever gone into a room and forgot why you went in there? Thats Because your brain is taking in a new environment. And subsequently forgets the main goal of why you went into that room to pick up your keys. etc…

Different picks, different guitars, different environments, will force your brain to become more adaptable. A great technique is practicing a phrase in one room then going into another and doing it again, and then another, etc…

I find that metronome practice helps develop sync and focusing on accenting the first beat with different note groupings quickly makes it second nature. As Tommo said it’s more about being aware of stuff, and then developing how you listen to what you are doing. Really focusing on something develops that, and something that “old school” thinking is quite correct about in my opinion.

You don’t have to do it fast either, in fact I think it’s probably better to start at a moderate pace that is on the edge of being uncomfortable so that the issues are there but correctable with attention.

Thanks for the response. im actually using the jazz 3. finally have gotten used to it after a couple months of holding it in my hands constantly, driving to work, at work, etc. Ill try using a different pick, i understand what your saying though. ill give it a shot! Thanks

Do you know why i might be hitting the low E string when i am doing a pedal riff on the A string? The crazy train verse for example.

Is that a jazz 3 in your video? I guess It looks different on cam vs real life.

On hitting the the E string, thats mostly just practice and getting your sense of where the strings are. But might also be the angle of your escape. I’ll edit this post later with a video. Here, might help might not, who knows. btw could you tell me if this is really quiet? Seems really hard to hear on youtube. If you can’t hear it, basically the angle of pick escape is what may help.

This might be a better one without my rambling.

Thank you! The 2nd video was helpful. Could you explain more how to do wrist rotation like you so i dont hit the E string on my escape?

I can try, but I’m a total amateur man lol, so perhaps others can help on this more than me. It’s really hard to say for sure without more information, I’ll do another video tho cus I love messing around on guitar, if it does help makes me happy. Here.

On your other video and you look like you’re doing it. You have a Van Halen tatoo? :open_mouth:

You can see Joscho Stephan do a way better example than me, he has a whole interview on CtC if you wana see it.