Technique critique - schlosser666

please advise i am about to give the guitar up

1 Like

What are you trying to accomplish? What do you feel are your weaknesses?

It’s hard to give advice without some idea of what you want to correct or develop in your playing.

Hi @schlosser666,

I think it’s better if you give your post a meaningful title and add a description to it.

If you don’t speak English, I’ve seen some members posting with Google translate and it wasn’t that bad.

I find your picking technique interesting. It seems to me that it’s finger motion based. But you seem to have a good speed. You could also share with us the lick that you’re trying to play here and explain where you feel “stuck” between the strings.

One more thing, in the last bit of the video, you used a different right hand technique which I would say is pure upward pick slanting. You seem to be able to play even faster with that technique. But that also means that you can only play licks that work with that technique.

Good luck!

Yeah, don’t give up! Your speed and vibrato seem very good, just help us to understand what things you find difficult and I’m sure the Forummers will be able to help :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Cool technique! As others have mentioned, definitely change the post title and add some details about what kind of feedback you’re looking for.

In general, the combination of finger and wrist movement you’re using looks interesting. From what I can see, what you’re doing looks like either dwps with swiping, or crosspicking. It would be cool to see that from a “down the strings” type angle, and in slow motion - then we’d be much more likely to know what it is you’re doing. Try a single example, like just the ascending scale part, and play it a couple times at your fast speed and again at a more “medium” speed, whatever that means for you. Skip the aggressive elbow technique for now since that’s a separate animal.

it was my first post and wasn’t really sure what i doing but i think i have now. Overall i feel i have no consistency when playing scales or runs, i feel like i lose it as i get towards the end low E or high E. As for as picking i feel that i have always either held the pick wrong or something was off. i just want to play like you troy, after seeing this for many years i decided to by the pick slanting premier because i felt that i have always been really close to figuring this out but i can’t. i have no clue what picking technique i am using but i feel its a bit of all of them. when i have some free time again i will post another video with a better angle and slow motion. As for as what i was playing just a 1,3,4 pattern descending and ascending. i have been playing way to long i just want to shred before i die.

1 Like