Technique exercise: 2 note per string, cross string (vertical) phrase

i have been playing this rythme futur phrase, and i came up with this quick technique practice… exercise… shocking. how it works is you just practice it at whatever fast tempo you choose that you can barely handle, but you rotate using the fingers: index and middle (strongest pair), then switching to index and ring (not as strong). pay attention to the fingerings as that is the most important aspect that i am trying to explain as far as the exercising and strengthening of the pairs coordination is concerned.

this isn’t going to go into any detail of which picking strokes to use, that is up to you. this is to help prop up the weak pair with the strong pair giving a longer break, but allowing to retain more speed across the board.

also experiment with what fingerings you might can get the fastest. for me it is this specific fingering, although i think my index and middle finger could probably do it, it just helps me to remain relaxed using this fingering at my max speed.

my fastest fingering, using the index and ring on the high e, then switching to index and middle pair on the b and g strings.

Here is the exercise, you can also vary which pair you choose to start with, after learning it with the specified fingerings. Also if you need to do a pull off somewhere for your specified one way escape technique by all means do it where necessary.

2 Likes

Just listened in soundslice. I want this to be my ringtone!

2 Likes

haha you like that eh? check this out, the bass will make you laugh. i kinda want one now after see how absurd it looks. looks like it’s straight from a cartoon, like the simpsons, or roger rabbit.

3 Likes

This is a really good mixed escape exercise; 3+2+3+2etc etc. Of course the NPS applies to all kinds of other things besides just an augmented tonality.

Awesome, thanks for sharing!

1 Like