Ten hardest rock songs?

Lists like this are silly, but they do spark discussion, so here goes. Check out this video.

https://www.guitarworld.com/artists/are-these-top-10-hardest-rock-songs-play-guitar

Some of these are very hard, but some are definitely not, and belong in the intermediate category, that Red Hot Chili Peppers song for example. And… the Smiths? The only hard part about that one is trying to imitate the singer’s mournful moaning.

I think most of the honorable mentions belong on the actual list. Yes, “Eruption” has tricky parts and an odd swing feel at times, but most difficult ever??? Does it really deserve the number one spot? Wait, was that Cacophany I heard in the intro to this video? Why aren’t they on the list?

Also, you can tell whoever is narrating this has no idea what he’s reading. Trum-olo picking? “Clayve” rhythm? oh, you mean clah-vey?

1 Like

I’m glad Johnny Marr (of the Smiths) made a list like this. I don’t think this tune is the best example of his crosspicking prowess, but it’s cool he got recognized for his technique nonetheless!

2 Likes

Half of those songs on the Watch Mojo list are metal which is unfair to most rock as rock has a slower tempo.
I agree with “Snow (Hey Oh)” Although it’s really easy if you cheat and finger or hybrid pick it.

Hard is naturally going to be subjective.

Derek and the Dominoes - Layla (I can’t play slide well)
King Crimson - Fracture (crosspicking hell)
Yes - Mood for a Day (need to be proficient at classical guitar)
Rush - La Villa Strangiato (weird timings in the solos, lots of tempo changes, the crazy flamenco intro)
Eric Johnson - Cliffs of Dover (I can’t seem to figure out a comfortable way to finger a lot of the fast runs)
Steely Dan - Peg, Kid Charlegmane, etc. (Im not good at moving around with jazz chord shapes)
Funkadelic - Maggot Brain (There are no good tabs for the whole song and I suck at learning by ear)
Beach Boys - God Only Knows (Those LSD induced chords)

1 Like

The problem is the definition of the word “hard” and the word “rock.”

They are too broad. It should be narrowed down. For example: “What is the hardest Metallica song to play?” For example, if you were to pick the hardest Metallica song to play technically, “Dyers Eve” would be one of the hardest. That would be a much more sensible question.

But deciding which songs are “rock” is a bit nonsensical.

Yngwie’s songs can also be defined as “rock.” Pretty hard to play.

Dream Theater is also “rock.” Erotomania is no cakewalk.

Also, the notes being play correctly is only one factor of technique. You also need phrasing, control, dynamics and sound to have an outstanding performance. That is why so many people try to play a Hendrix song and sound nowhere near Hendrix, although they are playing the correct notes (but not in the correct way). This is why playing Hendrix is “hard” as well, alhough it may look easy on paper.

Every song with a technically challenging solo in it is automatically hard to play. The cacophony stuff, Vinnie More stuff, Yngwie, Friedman etc.

Every song with “special phrasing” is hard to play. Try playing Jeff Beck “Ended up as lovers”.

We could have a more sensible discussion of what the hardest Yngwie solo is to play for example, or the easiest. Then we would get practical answers.

1 Like

I agree with this one. I’ve heard lots of people try to cover it, but none can really nail the speed/tone combo. Even Rick Graham… who is really talented, got all the notes right, but can’t get the staccato tone.

But if we were to include non-rock… (I’d say Paganini’s 5th. Playing 3 octave diminished arpeggios that don’t neatly fit into sweeps is challenging enough at slow speeds, but at full speed… its crazy tough… much tougher than 3 note per string runs. I heard one guy attempt it… but he basically replaced all the tough parts with minor triad sweeps.

2 Likes

Smooth jazz Metallica is pretty hard. :bear:

2 Likes

I think Malmsteens interpretation of BBKing is better ))

2 Likes

Hahahahaha, hilarious!

would be more realistic if the guy behind that wasn’t playing humbuckers.

This is my favorite. Buahahahaha! :bear:

1 Like

When BB is warmed up, watch out!

1 Like

yep, almost every video from that channel (ARF) are worth to watch. It’s really fun, and - I have to admit - he did great job.

Damn! It says “content from Eagle Rock” I can’t watch in the US.

1 Like