"The Backward Picking Technique"

I found this video on Youtube and figured you might be interested. It’s quite well thought out and presented. I enjoyed it!

2 Likes

Didn’t watch it all but it’s “trailing edge” as they call it around these parts, right? I’ve mentioned it before but I took lessons from a guy that was a strong proponent of this (due to Shawn Lane, which he also introduced me to), so I ended up using that technique for a little bit. Went back to “regular” picking (leading edge) for guitar, but I’ve started experimenting with trailing edge for bass. It’s a drastic tonal difference (much less pick noise, similar to fingers).

3 Likes

Yeah, trailing edge is the term used in CtC world. I experimented with it for a while, and certainly find changing strings a lot easier with it, but I am unable to get up any sort of speed with it.

Some of those gospel guitarists can really shred though!!

2 Likes

I use this pick grip but generally pick leading edge with it.

Because of the grip, it’s easy to experiment with trailing edge picking. I’ve found it helps some, by incorporating a very, very slight trailing edge, with controlling string changing while fast down picking - when working on developing that. Something to experiment with but does require the pad grip, may not feasible for the trigger grippers.

Do you mind posting a picture for clarification? I think I know what you’re talking about, but it’s more of an extremely flexed end-of-thumb-joint.

I’ve tried this a bit, but for me my thumb just doesn’t flex back far enough for it to be comfortable.
It’s a real nice feel in the pick though, for me it gives more attack.

I will use it sometimes with three finger grip for strumming. But beyond that I just don’t have the hands to pull it off. Wish I did.

2 Likes

@WhammyStarScream can you post a pic? You can actually flex your thumb to do trailing edge, no need to do a “hitchhiker’s thumb.”

1 Like

I can do it, but muting becomes an issue. I tried to do a vid on it but it’s a bit haphazard and hard to explain, basically I can do it but can’t mute asending runs as my palm is not near the bass strings. It is very much like Gypsy jazz angles, and I see in the original video the guy is also doing these angles, and even mentions the hypermobility issue. Idk how you can mute effectively like that. I might just be missing something. I’m still quite confused how people like Marty Friedman and Zakk Wylde, do (asending) runs with no flesh on the strings to mute. I notice he’s doing mostly clean tones… Little muting necessary. Great playing though :grin: His own song was really nice.

(I meant parallel not perpendicular in this vid…)

If you’re able to give any advice I will try it as I do enjoy playing “backward” trailing edge, it just doesn’t feel controllable to me.

I also saw recently Greg Walls doing this Here in this video and I’d love to incorporate it, idk if I can tho… But I notice he is mostly doing rythem, not solo lines with that style. So perhaps for some people this trailing edge style is best for rythem rather than lead, as rythem doesn’t need too much muting.

1 Like