The Django Musical Idea Exercise

I was practicing trills just now, and came up with an exercise for creating ideas. While at the same time you can also try to develop finger dexterity and speed. Killing two birds with one stone if you desire to utilize it for speed and dexterity.

You will only use two fingers, pick any two, and you will utilize swing tempo. I use a metronome, pick a tempo, and try to create single string lines or cross string lines for musical ideas using these two fingers. See what you can come up with while practicing. I was ramping the tempo up to practice my finger speed, but I discovered that I could focus more on creating stuff by just minimizing how many fingers I was using. And it is more outside the norm of what we might normal try to create since we are only using two fingers so it takes the pressure off using this fingering or that fingering.

I forgot to add that you can also utilize the open strings just a heads up. And also don’t forget you can scrunch them fingers up or stretch them further out than normal, The user cmcgee11235 sort of reminded me about doing this sort of thing for trilling speed, and sweeping.

2 Likes