The dreaded absolute pitch phenomenon

I love Olli’s playing.

Treat yourself Troy get you a nice gypsy guitar. Things are expensive, my classical 21 fret ibanez electric has to suffice in this economy. Rofl! :sunglasses:

But you gotta get you a flamboyant shirt to go with it.

That transcription has a few flaws, but its fairly accurate. Sucks cause always have to tune to play it, it just doesnt sound the same transposed to another pitch.

I can say my personal experience with improvising is entirely shape based, along with some interplay between auditory and visual. When I was studying jazz more explicitly and memorizing lots of chord shapes etc I would anticipate mentally what I want to play next almost like a “look ahead” while I’m executing the current lick and I may recognize the root note is a 3rd or a 5th from the current note and I’ll know exactly at what points near my hand I can start it. I still basically do the same thing but I’m just visualizing the nearest couple of modes across the fretboard at any given spot usually where I can almost kinda “see” it like an overlay. Again, I used to be a lot sharper with it but it’s coming back.

It probably depends on how visual you are as well, but I think you almost have to be somewhat visual to play guitar. It reminds me of when I used to play the game Go a lot, and chess, where if you really get into it you can start mentally playing out little sequences on the fly as you’re playing and then on the fly without a board in front of you. I know the chord progression is X - where are the related chord shapes near my hand for the upcoming chord, what box mode shapes am I close seat to on the next etc.

I often will put on my Discover Weekly playlist or top pop and learn the songs by ear as much as I can as the playlist cycles through. Builds my ear and I learn new patterns (sometimes) that I wouldn’t have thought of alone