The elbow seems to take over all other motions. What can I do?

Hi folks,

I’ve been struggling really hard with my picking technique, and I think my constant tendency to default to elbow motion is causing a mess. Whenever I try to perform any of the CTC motions at a faster speed, it feels like my elbow forces it’s way and becomes the only fast-ish motion I can do, and it is exhausting and sloppy, and without engaging my elbow, the most speed I can achieve is between 80-90 bpm 16th notes (for reference, I can do the tap test at 190-220 bpm).

I don’t mind any extra help from the elbow to achieve fast speeds but I have no idea what to do to achieve faster speeds with my wrist, for example. My elbow always takes over.

Any ideas?

Have you tried using your elbow but slowing down to the point where the “bad” tension is gone? If you can do that and focus on hand sync (accents) then you should be able to transition to pattern that changes strings just after downstrokes.

I don’t even work on elbow but I’m able to keep the tension low and still make sure elbow is driving the motion. 2nd half of the video I plant the heel of my palm (right where it meets the wrist) just above the bridge. That makes it feel pretty strange to engage elbow and helps the wrist just do it’s thing. Same idea though, no crazy fast speeds, just focusing on slow/moderate but evenness. The whole time I’ve very consciously using a rest stroke on the upstrokes.

I see in another thread you’ve enlisted the help of the excellent Tom Gilroy. I’m sure you’ll be in good hands because he has some great ideas about minimizing tension (there will always be some) while getting the hands synced.

1 Like

@steve506 a video would help to see what you’re doing at the moment.

Without seeing anything, my first guess is that you’re not anchoring your wrist enough, so when you’re pushing the speed, your elbow is taking over because that joint is more anchored than your wrist.

1 Like

He’s done a few critiques from what I remember. I hope I’m not confusing him with someone else :thinking: That was the only reason I commented. Because you’re right - the rules are: no video, no advice!

Thanks for the prompt responses, folks!

Here is a short video of me trying a few motions. Your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

I think the one at the very end has the most promise. It started a little after the 0:30 mark and looked like this:

Can you do some coordinated patterns on one string with that setup, sort of like I was doing in the video I posted? Doesn’t have to be the exact pattern, just whatever feels easiest to you. Even if it’s “tremolo” melodies where you’re playing 4 picks per melodic not but changing to the next note right on the beats. The key is staying on one string and being able to feel some accents. At that point you’re close to being able to switch strings with the motion.

Also, I’d be curious to see you try the motion I did at 0:20 in my video. That’s different than anything else you posted, and different is great when what you’ve been trying isn’t producing the results you want.

@steve506 I think the video you posted backs my original guess: you’re not anchoring your wrist enough. You can clearly see as you increase the speed that your wrist moves further and further away from the bridge. I would experiment with pressing down more with your wrist as you play, and being conscious of how much pressure you have on the forearm in comparison to the wrist.

Thank you for the feedback, y’all! I’ll give it a try for a few days and keep you posted. :guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar: