The First Shred Records You Bought

Rust In Peace and it lived in the CD player in my car for most of high school. The first time I heard the classical solo in Holy Wars it blew my mind.

At some point I bought Rising Force, Passion and Warfare, and Surfing With The Alien at once at FYE.

Wintersun’s debut and Mastodon’s Leviathan and Blood Mountain were huge influences early on as well.

Metal banjo shred licks.

Later when I got into vinyl I saw a copy of Al Di Meola’s Land of the Midnight Sun, the wax was near mint. I scooped it up brought it home and was blown away. “The Wizard” remains one of my favorite instrumentals to this day.

2 Likes

I was introduced to rock guitar by my father with a compilation including Queen, AC/DC and even more exotic stuff like Santana and Al Di Meola. When I heard the intro solo of “I want it all” I said to him that I want to play electric guitar.

Fast forward 3-4 years later. Some friend showed me the “Technical Difficulties” on YouTube (yes I’m in the younger generation, born mid 90s) and I was blown away. So I started listening to some “shred” players and I came across to 3 albums in the same week, back in 2009. The guitarists that played in them are still in my personal top 10 even today.

I found Buckethead because he was a student of Paul Gilbert and I was intrigued by the mask and the whole persona. I would have never guessed back then that I would stick with him to this day. This album is fantastic!

Then there was Yngwie. He was in the top places of every “fast player” list out there so I gave him a chance despite playing an “old man’s” guitar. I was a kid back then! :grin: He fastly became my favourite guitar player, not because of his speed, but the overall control over the instrument, the bends, the vibrato, the amazing solo ideas. His stuff from 1981 to 1995 is to me what a lead guitar player should aim for.

And then there was this girl I met at that period. She was a very beautiful girl, 2 years older than me, wearing Opeth and Children of Bodom T-Shirts all the time, in a Greek-French catholic school. :joy: We went together in a 15day school trip in France and she introduced me to that album. It was like Yngwie on steroids with screams, super heavy guitars and scary concepts. 10 years later we still talk from time to time and she still likes that album. What a great way to learn about Alexi Laiho! Too bad he wrecked his arm and started all that self destructing behavior, he was a fantastic player and composer.

Sorry for the long post, it was a trip into memory lane, almost 10 years ago. I was an early teen back then and everyone was saying that I will grow out of that music, I’m really glad I didn’t! If it wasn’t for those albums and moments, I wouldn’t have learned about modern players, more genres, or even guitar in the first place.

2 Likes

The first 3-4 Mastodon albums are great- not shreddy at all but some great writing and ensemble playing

‘Edge of Insanity’ by Tony MacAlpine was probably my first one. Bought it after seeing a small B/W ad from Shrapnel Records in Guitar Player magazine. I remember the ad also having ‘Street Lethal’ (which I bought shortly after), and the Vicious Rumours album w/ Vinnie Moore featured. Those were the days!

2 Likes

They were the days! I was just a teenager then and I though those days would continue on forever, or at least for a hell of a lot longer than they did. I have the Vicious Rumors record too. I used to buy everything on record until I started buying CDs around the mid to late 90s. Now even the record stores, the stores which eventually didn’t sell records anymore because they sold CDs instead are out of business. Even the mighty Tower Records went bankrupt! To me in the 80s, that future was almost as bleak to me as the thought of annihilation in a nuclear armageddon. ironically, I thought death from nuclear war was a lot more likely than all the record stores going out of business or kids eventually liking DJs more than guitar players!

At least being vaporized from the bomb would have been quick and if painful, only for an instant. But this stuff, seeing all out heavy metal gods go from vital young men in their prime to men in their 60s and 70s, and seeing nobody coming along to take their place because the rock music industry and especially heavy metal is, depending on how you look at it, either dead, or near dead and hooked up to the respirators as it struggles to even draw a breath.

It was inconceivable to me that rock stars would become a thing of the past. As inconceivable as movie stars becoming a thing of the past but that hasn’t happened, has it?

Today, the two hard rock or heavy metal bands that could fill a stadium with the most people are Metallica and Guns 'n Roses. Think of that for a second. They made their debuts 30 - 35 years ago! For bands that made their debuts 30 to 35 years ago still being able to draw the biggest crowds would have been like if in the 1980s, if Elvis Presley had still been alive and he was still the biggest rock star in the world. Kids in the 1980s, for the most part, rarely listened to Elvis if they listened to him at all. But if Metallica played a show at a stadium here, there would be a lot of young people there, as well as plenty of middle aged guys like me!

It’s a barometer of the health of our industry to realize that Metallica was the most popular metal band in the late 80s and 90s and now in 2018, still after all these years NOBODY has come along and either been passed the torch from Metallica or taken it from them!

Way too long, but if you feel like reading, grab your favorite caffeinated or intoxicating beverage…

Re: The “DJ vs. guitar players” thing:

First of all, let’s zoom out to the 100-500 year scale. Art reflects life – in all of this, that kind of represents the closest thing to an immutable “truth.” In the Baroque age, craftspeople worked with wood and made ornate tables and violins – so a signature work might be for strings (only), for instance. The piano as we know it really had its evolution during the 1800’s (in Bach’s prime, he was composing for keyboard instruments like harpsichord and organ), then the kickoff of the Industrial Age allowed for the absolute explosion of piano manufacture. Think of Liszt (one of Yngwie’s favorites) as a European touring rock star and Steinway enthusiast (endorser/artist?).

So a piano in the living room with some music books in the bench was a product of the times. In the @Troy era, that piano was in some ways still current (Billy Joel) and in some ways a relic – a musician might study Bach the way an actor might study Shakespeare. You’d recognize the genius, but you have to go pretty deep to get the inside jokes, and it’s never going to feel like something you’re going to show your buddies or play at a party. "Hey, everyone’s over, should we put on HBO Comedy or, I got this DVD of Shakespeare’s “As You Like It…” So it’s appreciated but relegated to what I call the “curio cabinet” of history.

Industrial Age metalworking (I mean, literally, METAL-working) was also…ummm…INSTRUMENTAL in bringing us the saxophone. Next stop: early jazz, big band swing…

So the next stop is the Broadcast Era. Tubes + speakers = amplifiers, art reflects life and does this thing go to “10?”…here we go!

So the flow of genres is a natural thing. Think of it like, a generation walks into a dark room, and someone eventually finds the light switch. Bob Dylan definitely found the light switch (I’m a fan, for what it’s worth). What does his career look like if he arrives with the same sound 20 years earlier OR 20 years later?

Of course, zooming out (again), you get to the Information Age. The instrument of expression becomes…information. I had that realization in the 90’s sometime but shook it off, because I literally could not imagine what it would look like. But the ideas of remixing/sampling, virtual instruments with library after library, and the DJ as being the star of the moment, these are a natural extension of the evolution. I think some of the resonance of rap (notice I said rap and not hip-hop – rap is a vocal style, hip hop is a culture) is due to this trend. Realize that comparing a chunk of the music of the last 15 years to traditional modes of expression, you might run into something analogous to “art with paints and brushes and painters” vs. “art with someone building a collage out of interesting pieces.” The collage isn’t necessarily any less interesting or vibrant, although I do think there is a higher bar to clear to elevate it above the “noise” of lesser works, since we’re talking about (literally) painting with a more limited palette, in a sense.

Let me digress: Without getting too deep into it, DJ’ing is clearly SO different from the instrumental musicianship we know and love. BUT there is a level of greatness in expression that can occur. I’m really tempted to list some of the things I’ve seen as a music fan…being 10 feet behind DJ AM for a set was mind-blowing. Being the one long-haired kid in the jam-packed club up in front of the stage watching Public Enemy with Chuck D rapping to beats coming straight off the vinyl was mind-blowing (“you guys gotta quit jumping on stage – it’s making the records skip”). There’s more, for sure, but you get the idea.

I asked one of the L.A. session guys what it’s all about, and he said, instantly, “inner musicality.” I knew he was right, but the older I get, the more “right” I realize he was.

Here’s one: Dave Pensado has a track record mixing across genres, but really focused on pop, R&B, and some rap. But he came up as an Atlanta guitar player – he has some stories of playing with “names” before hitting his stride behind the console. He’s an insightful guy with a ton of perspective. To cut a long story short, I was privileged to meet him a few times, and one of the things he told me was this (I’ll do my best): Using hard guitar rock and rap/hip hop as examples, he made the point that there are people of world-class ability in both genres who are worthy of exposure and appreciation, but what happens is that while a rock-type genre will be deep with artists we might describe as “minor league but still relevant,” the depth of a rap-type genre, as in how many people/recordings can be truly relevant or legendary, falls off into the mundane more quickly. I’m not only talking about hip-hop here; I think this could just as easily be applied to rap metal or any idiom in which an accepted part of what drives the aesthetic is the idea of creation using a constrained palette.

So that’s important. The issue should NEVER be “this stuff sucks” or whatever. That same bubblegum record that you loved to hate in the Tower Records era was enabling an A&R person to give a struggling band a demo budget. Where it got thorny was that the relative commercial success or failure of a genre or sub-genre turned into a self-reinforcing set of virtuous and vicious cycles, with the end result being that [trendy genre] would “suck the oxygen out of the room” for up-and-comers in [not trendy genre which nevertheless had potential to birth long-term artists]. An artist who doesn’t “look” (I’m talking “image”) or sound like you…are they elbowing you to the side or kicking down the door for YOU to run through? Or is it BOTH, and you don’t realize it?

OK, to get back on point: That’s kind of the model from the end of the Tower Records era. But let’s zoom WAY out to the 500-year scale. That’s pretty huge, but I would argue that instant access to searchable information is as much of a game changer as Gutenburg’s printing press 500 years ago! When Beethoven was doing his thing in Vienna, he was “going indie” (no sponsorship from the nobility, like Mozart had) and trying to get the right PUBLISHING DEAL, literally, while booking shows and trying to pack the house. That model didn’t change, through Liszt and Paganini to Stravinsky to Gershwin to Miles to the Tower Records era.

Unlike you, I really pretty much assumed that rock and metal would be transcended by electronic expression, and that being a fan of '80s rock in the 2020’s would be like putting an “I [heart] Count Basie” bumper sticker on the road case of your JCM 900. Sure, there’s an outlet and the occasional festival, and an audience forever, really, but the genre (swing jazz) was relegated. You’re not going to “jam” it at a party, unless it’s a theme party or something. But put on some Cole Porter, and go song after song after song, and realize, that there’s kind of this unbroken thread there. Like if you went into your time machine and were all of a sudden hanging with 40 people in a mixed, younger crowd, possibly with some booze on tap, what decade is it, and what’s in the background, and how cool is it that everyone can sing along? How do you top a song like “Embraceable You,” anyway?

So I really think that metal, given how transient it may potentially have been, has aged rather well. The stadium-filling artist is, unfortunately, a relic also, in this world of narrowcasting. But I’d say that it’s important to not use that as a barometer. Without an MTV-style place for “common ground” between genres, you just get a razor-thin level of marquee artists (Ed Sheeran, Bruno, Adele, Cardi B) and everyone else. Comparing ANYONE’s career arc these days to their career arc is like comparing a regional upmarket restaurant chain to an omnipresent fast food chain (ONLY talking about commercial considerations and not artistic evaluation here). You are talking about two entirely different industries and business models, even though they both sell food. So I think it’s a trap to talk about “the industry” and narrow down evaluations to that level. It’s certainly been frustrating to see hard rock and metal lose a share of the crossover world while country stars are routinely on the cover of the grocery store tabloids (no, seriously, when Tommy Lee and Heather Locklear were an item at that level and the Crue was signing the biggest deal ever, if you gave me the Blake Shelton/Miranda Lambert/Luke Bryan blueprint and said THAT’S where it’s headed in 30 years…) but really, you have to decide how much the crossover world and the casual fan drives what you do, or where you’re at, or how much you are committed to capturing a minuscule fragment of the collective mindshare of people who turn you on BECAUSE they want sonic wallpaper in the background. By the way, I am not slagging country in the slightest: I think, if anything, a lot of country and Nashville rock really carried the torch to the next generation in terms of keeping guitar-oriented music out of the “curio cabinet” I referred to above.

But as far as crossover audience, remember that a monolithic crossover audience doesn’t exist for ANYTHING these days, short of maybe a $100m tentpole comic book action movie, and music as a format is not playing in that game.

Pandemics aside, metal audiences fill auditoriums and clubs and festival grounds 40+ years after Black Sabbath. This is in contrast to the pop/hard rock style (think spandex and Aqua-Net), which really hit across the board at the time and kind of dominated everything. A wise man once said, if you have a dedicated audience of 5,000 people TOTAL, spread between all the cities you play, who will spend $20 on you once a year, you are making six figures as an artist. Video game culture has been kind to metal and has kind of served as a “gateway drug,” with a lot of the newer generation taking ownership or taking the deep dive to build on the sound and push the boundaries on their own, and I personally think it’s a fitting marriage.

So, when we return to normalcy and you see that line around the block of diverse kids with jet black hair, with chugging low-tuned guitars and speedy double-kick drums coming out of stereos in the parking lot, do NOT take that for granted. Metal has a generational lease on staying current and having a dedicated audience that loves THEIR young artists on THEIR terms while respecting where the sound came from, an audience that will scrape up their lunch money and pack a big brother or sister’s car to drive to the city (again, when the time comes) and wait in line to be in the room witnessing THEIR bands, with like minded people their age and a few of us elder statesmen/women hanging in the back nodding our heads in approval.

And don’t get me started about the mindshare metal holds on the internet, both on its own terms and as a soundtrack to all kinds of things.

How many genres have a run like THAT – half a century and going strong?

The next chapter at some point will be “why can’t the 2000’s have a healthy intersection of art and commerce which gives us a Pink Floyd DSOTM or Led Zeppelin IV or Fleetwood Mac Rumours-type smash that definitively pushes boundaries while hitting on all levels AND crossing over, establishing a small but vital class of musicians as societal philosophers or generational thinkers and representatives outside of music or even art, like Marley or Hendrix?” OK, that is a different conversation…

Megadeth - Rust In Peace
Malmsteen - Rising Force
Satriani - Surfing With the Alien
Vai - Passion and Warfare
Jason Becker - Perpetual Burn
Al Di Meola - Land of the Midnight Sun

Racer X – Second Heat first, then “Street Lethal”
Yngwie – Rising Force through Odyssey
Tony MacAlpine – Maximum Security
M.A.R.S. – Project: Driver
(Kind of forgot how good this album was!)

Vinnie Moore – Mind’s Eye
Vai – Flex-Able, Flex-Able Leftovers, DLR, Whitesnake, P.A.W.
Ozzy/Randy – Tribute (“Suicide Solution” extended guitar solo)
Greg Howe – solo album and Howe II “High Gear”
Satriani – “Surfing” and “Blue Dream”

There are others, but it’s pretty much whoever was on Shrapnel Records by 1989 or so. I was more into the American/L.A. sound – Lynch, EVH, DeMartini. I mean, the guitar magazines were great, because you had a month to work through the solos and exercises!

I was also into progressive metal, especially Fates Warning and Queensryche.

The Blue Murder record was super-cool. MTV Headbanger’s Ball was pretty much a ritual – 3 hours long, and they would kind of start with Def Leppard or Poison and end up at Nuclear Assault, Exodus, Kreator, or Agnostic Front by 2:45 am or so. Even the second hour would be bands like Testament or Suicidal Tendencies. They were playing Soundgarden “Loud Love” right before the leading edge of the “grunge revolution” – that song was intense. By that time of night, the show would be hitting the 3rd hour and they would be playing Bad Brains or something, followed up by maybe “Peace Sells…”

So I was already into Megadeth by “Rust In Peace.” I remember hearing that Marty Friedman was in the band thinking, jeez, it’s like an All-Star team…I saw that tour, right up front at a Civic Center with some brand new, unknown band called Stone Temple Pilots opening. @Troy had Alice In Chains opening for Extreme, I had STP opening for Megadeth (and that wasn’t the only one, but it was the most dramatic). I thought they were OK, but they frankly looked bored and ticked off and weren’t “rocking out” at all (“I mean, what kind of band that’s not “college rock” just stands there, right?” Well, you know…), and they were kind of in danger of getting booed off stage. This is right before “Sex Type Thing.” “Plush” was the one that put them on the rocket ship, then it was off to the races.

Any other veterans of the “Headbanger’s Ball” era, did you notice they’d always follow the show up with The Sundays “Here’s Where The Story Ends?” What a great tune, but I think on a “Metal-O-Meter” from 0-10, that’s, like, a “negative 2!”

For me it was Edge of Insanity by MacAlpine. I use to be good buddies with him back in the 90’s so got in it that way. I don’t really consider Eddie Van Halen shred or Eric Johnson so I’ll leave them out.