The Frank Gambale interview is here!

OK, thanks. Also, for Chrome users out there, you need to empty your browser cache and force a hard reload to get the updated zip files.

As usual, you make a lot of sense :slight_smile: Thanks for the answer.

I must say this video once was an eye-opener for me (namely the part about pick resting on the next string):

https://troygrady.com/channels/talking-the-code/combining-alternate-picking-and-sweeping/

Playing 3nps stuff with economy picking realizing that there’s a rest stroke became a bit easier.

Also, I really have a hard time grasping what exactly is going on with Frank’s thumb when he descends. I noticed it years ago, but haven’t been able to do the same thing comfortably. Maybe that’s because of different pick, different pick angle etc. Troy’s video with analysis of this thumb movements would be awesome.

Yeah I missed Troy’s analysis of Frank’s playing. The analysis stuff in the older videos was great.

We’re working on this now, for the YouTubes, but these things take massive amounts of time. Disclaimer, unclear how much new stuff anyone who is current with our stuff will actually learn from this. Although we will try to clarify what “pickslanting” means in the context of Frank’s playing. He is a great example of how the “slant” of the pick and the “slant” of the motion are two different things.

I really liked the interview. Fank is truly a monster, isn’t he. I mean, when he first hit the scene everyone was like…what the…? And it’s a rare thing when you get a true innovator who’s willing to teach-and at the same time he’s really gifted in doing so-how he does it. Even before his current school, he’d done great educational job with all his books and video lessons, both on technique and harmony/impro.
Have anyone heard his Natural High project? Acoustic guitar, double bass and piano. He’s taken several jazz standards and wrote new themes over them. So, we have a chance to hear him blowing over typical jazz changes. On acoustic. Yes. I tell you people, I’ve seen it live-that was some scary shit. No kiddin’…

I love Frank, but never met him.
I’ve just got a Roland VG-88 guitar synth, and I’m going to use the virtual guitar part of it to try out the “Gambale tuning”. It sounds super-cool.

Yes, guitar synths are great for trying out non-standard tunings without having to actually retune/restring the instrument. When I got my GR-30 long time ago, I was spending a lot of time exploring the Gambale tuning (he had just revealed it by that time, after the “Reason d’être” was released), and also fifths tuning (Holdsworth used it on Synthaxe) which I like a lot.

If anyone wants to try the picks mentioned in the interview I’ll be more than happy to give some of mine away. Ordered a pack; only to find out after thirty seconds of use, that they’re really not for me…

I was rewatching the Frank interview and I think it’s my favourite. Frank is great to listen to and he is very soft and calmly spoken. His technique is a joy to watch and it looks like his pick isn’t even touching the strings. He has one of the most efficient techniques I have seen on the interviews so far. He’s my favourite sweep picker for sure.

So, we cleared how frank moves his pick but no clue about how he thinks the musical stuff…very clever.

The two are very likely connected. Frank has released a million lessons on harmony, modes etc., or even just by studying the examples in the interview you can get many clues

Yes, name one lesson where the method is clearly explained, without guessing or supossing things…

Maybe seeing Yngwie you dont need this cracking the code thingy.

He recently released a lesson (not for free) called “target tones”, where he discusses some of his ideas about chord changes (see link below) - I am actually on the fence with that one.

Even in his old “speed picking” book he explained how he would look for sweepable phrases inside the standard scale shapes (providing examples), and this is at least one of his possible ways to construct licks. But really I think the issue is that he uses a ton of different ideas, even though they all tend to revolve around his mechanics.

In general it would probably be impossible to condense his 40+ years of improvisational experience in a 1h interview.