The mind-blowing "pickless picking" of Robert Rodrigl

Perhaps some of you already know about the fantastic Robert Rodrigo. What an amazing musician ! And what makes everything even more interesting is that his technique is pretty much “normal” picking…but without the pick part. Amazing.

He sounds great, and I love his pinch harmonics, lots of frosting on the musical cake!

I am the worst person on this forum at analyzing technique, but it seems that when he uses his thumb as a pick (driven by his wrist?), it is double-escaped?

Then when he uses his thumb more traditionally, it only does rest strokes?

Now I’m looking forward to what somebody with a good eye will reveal about what is going on here.

Looks like when he picks he uses his thumbnail, lots of legato (hammers/pulloffs) with a mute for the faster stuff. He sounds great!

But for a really well developed fingerstyle technique, I’d have to say Matteo Mancuso is the man! Paco De Lucia, Billy Sheehan and Victor Wooten as well as Steve Bailey bear investigating as well…

1 Like

It looks to me like half the time he simply uses his index finger as if he had a pick in his hand (like every time someone asks me to play something and all my picks suddenly disappear :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:). His transitions between that “index picking” and some more traditional fingerpicking phrases are so smooth!

Also, about his scape, I’ve noticed some dual escape motions here and there but I’d interpret that as contextual “helpers” and not a primary motion.