The Mixed-Escape Vocab Thread

Every now and again all the classical training helps me in rock lol!

1 Like

But yeah in general with the DBX stuff I noticed how distracted the fretting hand can be. Finding stuff that is easy to fret allows for better focus on the picking

1 Like

Last one for today so I don’t shit up the thread too much: :laughing:
This one’s all repeated inside picking, E minor pentatonic box position. Easy easy fingerings, maybe not so easy on the picking hand, hah.

E|----------------------------------12--------------15--------------
B|--12--------------15----------------------------------------------
G|------14--12--14------14--12--14------14--12--14------14--12--14--
D|------------------------------------------------------------------
A|------------------------------------------------------------------
E|------------------------------------------------------------------

I’m not happy with how the recording on this one came out (swipey, I think?) but it gets the point across:

Note: I’m only uploading my own licks here. Going to avoid anything I consciously got from any specific instructional material, because that feels a bit like stealing.

I think everything I’ve posted so far has been DBX. I could crosslink here, or if y’all want tabs / fingerings, I could post them here.

1 Like

Crosslinks would be cool!

I saw Andy Wood play one like this in the interviews. I may have replicated or tweaked, I don’t know. Either way, another nice sounding progression with easy fret hand.

7 Likes

Oh yeah, I think that one was in the interview that’s on Youtube. Love it.

And great playing! I think it’s cool to post clips of the lines actually being played with the tabs so people can pick out which ones they want to learn more easily.

1 Like

Most people are going to have a harder time with this one, even mixed escape or DBX players, because of the big string skipped jump in the last two beats. It will always require some degree of wrist extension coupled with inside picking.

That lick aint worth my time hybrid all the way. :smiley: And, a big AND, I am going to barre the 12th fret.

1 Like

Normally sure, but I’m not entirely certain that’s the spirit of this thread…

1 Like

There’s nothing stopping you from creating the USX vocab thread :slight_smile:

I like the last two, the last one being super cool sounding. I may end up borrowing something close to that for a song intro.

btw, do you have some sort of doubler effect on?

1 Like

Yeah, it’s a chorus with depth and speed at 0 and mix at 10. Gives a tiny bit of a stereo broadening effect. I don’t practice with it on but it’s got a very 80s sound that I like.

Oh, also, try turning the first lick into minor triads instead of major, and play them a major third apart. Sounds very grim, may be more to your liking :grin:

I mean it really depends on the phrase. Most of the stuff I have seen here anyone could come up with, these are pretty basic fragments imo.

You might find soundslice easier as well to tab these fragments, it is hard to feel a rhythm.

Here’s a brutal one. It’s basically inside Gilberts, but the lower string is a tremolo.

E|--10-----------------7-----------------9-----------------12-----------------10-----------------9-----------------10-----------------
B|------7--7--7--7--7-----7--7--7--7--7-----7--7--7--7--7------8--8--8--8--8------8--8--8--8--8-----8--8--8--8--8------8--8--8--8--8--
G|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 Like

And one more for good measure (heh): this one’s sort of a Gershwin-sounding idea.

E|--15--12----------------------12--17--12----------------------12--
B|----------15--------------15--------------15--------------15------
G|--------------17--12--17----------------------17--13--17----------

2 Likes

That one’s pretty cool :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds cool but I get the feeling the fingering could be “friendlier”. I’ll give it a go later.

1 Like

You’re right! I never even thought of it, which is weird: I have a short-ass pinky.

E|--15--12----------------------12--17--12----------------------12--
B|----------15--13------13--15--------------15--13------13--15------
G|------------------12------------------------------13--------------
1 Like

Okay, last one this week, I swear!

E|--------10--------10--------9--------9--------9-----------7--------7--------7--------7--------7--
B|-----8---------8---------8--------8--------8-----------8--------8--------7--------7--------7-----
G|--7---------7---------7--------7--------7--------7--9--------9--------9--------9--------9--------
D|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a roll with some cutesy suspensions, nothing fancy. I think I’m stringhopping this one – the accuracy absolutely craters if I try to speed it up at all.