The Paul Gilbert Lick

Done! I have re-recorded it going for the speed (similar to the first vid at the top on electric). Came out much better. Thanks tommo.

To loosen up I really had to hold the pick very lightly. I also went down a fret or two.

1 Like

Agreed, this is much better! To reduce even more the swiping noise, you can try to add a little more edge picking. Then you can call Di Meola cause you’ll be ready to battle him on Mediterranean Sundance :slight_smile:

Try this version also on electric, I bet the swiping noise will be near inaudible (and to be fair, we can hear it a little bit even in Paul’s playing so…)

2 Likes

Thanks tommo I’m working on another video with some better audio. Hopefully have up in the next day or so.

I’m still struggling with the double switch. One switch I can manage with reasonable control. But I dont feel with my picking mechanics I have tbe same control PG does. To go into hyper speed my mechanics change to more wrist/ elbow. But I lose some control.

Anyway I’ll try get another video up soon!

I finally figured out my issue with playing this lick - and it might help others!

I’ve tried it with rotation, swiping and hopping - and with different slope motions and escapes - up/down and neutral - this is over a few years of playing. It’s always been a real pain to play properly.

Well I had the “light bulb” moment last night - decided to try Troys method of picking with hand on the bridge. Yup that totally worked, but I couldn’t figure out why. Until I remember I my guitar - it’s bridge and strings are quite high relative to the resting place on the body “where I put my palm to rest normally” - I’m not a floaty arm person - too much thrash muting :slight_smile:

And my final solution was to use a stack of table leg grips to prop my hand up higher (base of palm is now at the same height as my strings when resting).

Amazing it’s just plain awesome I can now play that lick without hitting the B string :stuck_out_tongue: - super chuffed.

Edit: Here’s bit more info that I’ve figured out on this:

I’ve been playing this for a few days now and the trick is the “floating” pick hand - rather than a planted mute pick hand. When your pick hand is floating and loose (it’s wild up there man! lol) - the isolated upstroke - pulls your hand up - so the upstroke hit misses the B string - sweet. You loose a little bit of pick energy , but it’s worth it in the long run!

3 Likes

Hi everyone

I just wanted to give an update on how I am going with the Paul Gilbert Lick!

Well I’m not happy with my efforts above.
They are not played the way PG plays it. They are NOT the Paul Gilbert lick.

After my discussion with tommo above, I really feel that to be playing the lick correctly
you need to include the double switch.

TAB
-------12-----12—
—15-----15------15-
you also need to be have as Troy calls it “repeatability”.

So i have been doing some analysis on how PG plays the lick and have created a video to support the analysis.

Firstly, it became apparent during the analysis that the lick is not played as a series of triplets, but rather as 2 then 4’s. Have a listen to the lick at 25% and you will see what I mean. I guess Paul was emphasising the switch and this lead to the slightly different feel. So the accent is on the 3rd note of the sequence - not the fourth.

Next, I timed the tempo the lick is played at - I got it at about 190 bpm using 16th notes.

When you include the double switch you start to get into some pretty difficult territory.

So in the the video I created I present the lick as a midi file. It sounds exactly like Paul Gilbert. It is obvious therefore PG plays it very, very cleanly. This presents the first challenge.
To play the REAL Paul Gilbert lick you have to play it very cleanly.

The second challenge is the speed at which lick is played. PG does not slow down when get gets to the double switch.
As you can hear from the midi - this is exactly as PG plays it. The midi is just straight notes with no added inflection.

So if you are going to play the lick as Paul does - you are going to have to execute the switch - with no loss of speed. If you deviate even slightly from the rhythm as I do above in the acoustic videos, you are not playing the lick.

To illustrate the speed Paul plays the lick even further I have added a midi of what the switch would sound like if PG trilled it. Un.Be.Lievable. Try it if you want.

-------12-----12-------12-------12-----12-----12-----12------12------12------12
—15-----15-------15------15-------15------15----15-----15------15------15-------

So this brings us to my progress. I can play the lick at about 140 bpms cleanly as PG does. I have included this in the video.

Then I have included the digitally sped up version of that audio and you can hear that I am indeed playing it correctly - but not anywhere near as fast as Paul does.

What slows me down is the double switch. I have been working on this lick now for years. Unless I can find a way to cleanly execute the double switch at hyper speed - which is now highly unlikely - then this lick will unfortunately continue to be well beyond my capability. The only way to get to those speeds for me would be to involve an elbow mechanic which does not provided the clean execution to get this lick right. It becomes too swipey - too messy.

View the acoustic 2 version above.
It is NOT the paul gilbert lick. The issues are:
(a) the phrasing is wrong (I’m using triplets)
(b) the speed is too slow
(c ) the picking is not the even tempo required - slows down on the double switch
(d) it is too messy - not cleanly executed.

*** So I am not really sure how to learn this lick. I have tried different mechanics, angles, tensions, picks, guitars lol
I think I have done all I can - but I can’t get it.

Am I missing anything?

1 Like

That is super interesting dude - no wonder it’s never really sounded right for me :stuck_out_tongue:

I can now almost play this at speed cleanly (after about 20 years of first hearing it in early racer x tune) - what worked for me was a few different things:

Hand above strings

Forearm rotation

Popping the notes ( that is rest pick on string - pop pick thru string, then immediately rest pick on string again - so it mutes the note and is ready for the next pop) - it’s a fair amount of effort to do this - requires pick hand to push and pull at the same time. It stops the pick swinging to much - tiny movements - and hitting the other strings. It’s a “powered controlled pick” rather than a free swinging pick. I’m sure this is part of gilbert’s technique for many fast things. You can practise this at slow speed no problem - it kinda burns the pattern into muscle memory faster than other methods for some reason!

Can’t wait to test out the 2-4 accents - hope it’s the missing link for me!

1 Like

Hi shabtronic

thanks for the awesome response and tips!- I am playing around with the string popping as you suggest and the forearm rotation.

Just on the 2-4 thing, if you have been playing it as triplets for a long time it may be hard to break out of that.

One thing you can try is to start the lick on the switch which should then get the PG phrasing

------12----12----------------------------12------12------

—15----15----15–13–12–13-15-------15-----15 etc

When you slow down to 25% on YT, he NEVER deviates from this phrasing and NEVER slows down on the switch.

It is unbelievable.

There MUST be something going on with his picking mechanic that is allowing him cleanly 'to jump" the strings without losing speed.

I can get the speed on the single string ok - but can’t do the jumps at speed cleanly.

I am a downward slanter. Troy’s version of the lick uses 2 way starting with upward.

He does these wrist rotations to get it clean. I wonder if your forearm rotation is essentially forcing the upward slant?

I’m confused though because if you look at 6.28 - on full screen he is definitely holding the pick as a downward slant - the same as I am holding it.

The piano licks you posted above really indicate his ability to jump strings or switch.

Listen to this part - he is (as I indicated with the midi trill in my video) trilling the string switch here at approx 180-190 bpms.

Cleanly! If you slow it to 25% you can hear just how cleanly he is switching.

By definition we need to be able to play the switch - on its own - at 190 bpm to be able to play the Paul Gilbert lick. As Paul does in the piano lick.

This is why I can’t play the lick. Because I can’t do clean switching at 190 bpm.

I have absolutely put in the hours into this lick to be able to play it. I SHOULD be able to play it. lol

I am left with - after years of effort - 2 possible options:

(a) there is a genetic component here that is why I can’t do this

(b) there is something I am missing

Isn’t he swiping this? The slight trade off cleanliness affords the ability to maintain the speed. My ear isn’t that great at easily pick out when swiping happens, especially when someone is doing it very well.

I wouldn’t put too much stock on what it looks like. Looks can be deceiving and you can change escape trajectory without changing pick orientation.

2 Likes

I’m ok with the alternative accent timing - I play this:

------------------------------------------------------12—12------
–13-12-13-15-13-12-13-15-13-12-13-15----15—15—

and gradually bring the string change in once I’ve got that accent pattern locked in.

I remember three other videos from paul, I will try and find and post them when I have time.

One is video is a recap of the gilbert lick and how he started playing like that with a string change shuffle thing.

Another video is him playing it with NO PICKING at all at speed.

and the last video is him playing it on the 1st 2nd strings - then increasing the string jumps 1,2 then 1,3 then 1,4 then 1,5 then 1,6 - which is the video that makes me cry :stuck_out_tongue: and wanna take up knitting!

Here’s the first video

1 Like

Great thread! A point about “slant” though: I agree with @PickingApprentice, looks can be deceiving. You say

but in the videos your motion appears to be DSX?

Same here, the pick may appear to be slanted “downwards”, but the motion appears to be a DSX motion. Thumb parallel with strings usually equals DSX.

I don’t know if it’s any help and I feel like I’m completely out of my element here, so take what I say with a grain of salt!

3 Likes

Just a quick reaction to this (and I know the feeling of being stuck for years!).

After years of doing (probably) small variations of the same thing, it’s unlikely you’ll see big changes. What you could try is to do something radically different!

Try to drastically change your anchor, pick grip, arm position, or whatever other variable you can think of!

I know it sounds scary but it does not have to be a permanent change (unless you’ll want it to be!). Just - initially - a trick to perceive your guitar in a different way hence increase your chances to find new mechanical solutions.

3 Likes

I think this is really well put! Troy also mentions PGs telltale “thumb-bump” when he plays DSX. And yes, it is not there when he plays the lick slow, but it creeps in when he switches into gear. I also think he “MABs” this lick, DSX and swipe. Also, his “scratchy” sound approach might give him a pick angle that helps to make the swipe less obvious, and/or mask it.
@Interestedoz have you tried something extreme like @tommo suggested? Jorge strunz comes to mind, since hes so good at hiding swiping. I recently had quite some fun with @Tom_Gilroys trailing edge grip.

2 Likes

This is a great question. I have listened to the piano like where he does this switch repeatedly and to my ear it is very very clean. But others might be able to confirm for us.

Great point! Especially as it is so hidden in those huge fingers he has!

thanks for the video! and keep 'em coming if you find the others!

To be honest I get lost with trying to apply the DSX/ USX concepts to my playing. Thanks too for @Johannes for input. Troy did kindly take a look at one of my videos and confirmed it is DSX. But I have REALLY experimented with many many different approaches. There is a fundamental lack of wrist speed when jumping the string multiple times.

Indeed yes - and thanks @tommo again for your input. I am just trying something new!

My wife (a classical musician) challenged my assertion that I could play the Paul Gilbert lick at 140 bpms! She told me to get the metronome! So I did.

And the results are quite shocking. See this video! haha

So the “new” thing I am trying is to practice against a metronome. I have never done this before. I am doing it now. A couple of observations:
(a) there is nowhere to hide
(b) the metronome doesn’t lie
(c ) you can track your progress

It also surprised me how uneven my playing is.

So really for me to be able to say I can play the Paul Gilbert lick, I need to be able to play the lick (including the double switch) against a metronome at 190 bpm!

Current standing:
Paul Gilbert 190 bpm
Interested Oz : 126 bpm

Eek

I don’t think the slow practice gets you anywhere. You have internalized all the notes and your hand sync is good! Your whole form is different when you play this slow, so the slow practice might not help at all to get you to the speeds you desire.
I rewatched your very first video in this thread, and this is a great Foundation! You are kind of nailing it there. I am puzzled, why did you step back from that? It sounds awesome!
I believe you could get the double switch from that setup, if you just play the “easy” (haha!) gilbert lick at speed, and then just extend it at some point. Something like this:

E1-----------6---------------6---------------6—6------
H2—6-7-9—9-7-6-7-9—9-7-6-7-9—9—9----

But always fast! Only use the metronome to check if you are fast enough!
Also, f*** the gilbert lick at some point! :grinning:
You clearly know how to play guitar, and all the hours you put into practice are not wasted.

I don’t 100% agree that @Interestedoz should totally ditch the metronome. In a couple of the posts above, the timing has been a bit inconsistent here and there and his latest video sounded the most even. A bit of work with the mertronome help that. Agree that its no magic bullet for speed work though…

Can’t agree more - it was sounding great. I guess the question is how much is the “double switch” version going to need to be played at 190bpm , over and above the ‘standard’ version? My instinct is ‘not much’

Hahaha so true!

@Interestedoz I think it’s important to realise that there are different challenges you are trying to tackle here: speed, syncronisation, timing and clean string changes (I’m sure I may be forgetting something but hey).

In my opinion, and that of many others it seems, the metronome will do nothing for the “speed” aspect. It can work great for assessing your timing, but only after the other elements are in place. 126bpm, for example, allows for a degree of motion micro-management that is probably impossible at 190.

If your first objective is to play the lick at 190bpm, I would suggest to seek a combination of hand/arm setup + pick grip + picking motion that does 190 bpm from day 1. Don’t worry about the sloppyness of the string changes at first, because the first objective is to experience what “Gilbert lick @190 bpm” feels like.

EDIT: in my personal opinion, the combination of (speed + hand sync + timing) is more important than having 100% clean string changes (i.e. no swipes). Think about the bigger picture of the guitar sitting in a mix with other instruments: I’d guess a problem in the first three elements would be much more noticeable than the occasional “click!” of a swiped muted string.

Apologies if I am repeating myself (I forgot if I mentioned these videos to you already), but these are our typical video suggestions for speed development:

CTC Start with speed

Shawn lane Q&A about speed (go fast and sloppy!)

1 Like

thanks @7th11th !! I appreciate the support. You know I felt I was going to have to put a post up to assure people I’m not a terrible guitar player - if they come in at the end of this thread they will think I’m utterly hopeless! lol Thanks for taking the time to look at the first video.

Just to answer for you and @PickingApprentice on why I backed away from what I was doing at the top of this thread - I just wanted to play the lick exactly as Paul Gilbert plays it. I can get towards the 190 mark if I play the “easy” version of the lick in triplets - but its pretty swipey and rough.

With the harder double switch version I can get up to maybe 170 with a triplets/ swipey version.

But really the goal was to play it just like Gilbert does - turns out this is pretty hard!

thanks tommo - I use much more elbow when I push to those speeds - and yes it is pretty rough and sloppy! But I do take your point about getting the feel of that speed.

As I mentioned the metronome has been insightful as I was quite surprised how much my timing moved around. And you correct - this little lick incorporates SO many aspects of playing.

I will include flooring it to as close to 190 into my practice.

The double switch has been the really difficult part for me - when @shabtronic put up the piano lick above, I really saw the level of control PG has over the string jumps I just don’t know how h does it! He is trilling the string hop at 180 bpm plus!

There is another thread here on the PG lick and I know there was discussion about the physical/genetic aspects i.e. size and strength of hands etc. Does this come into this at all do people think?

1 Like

C’mon guys! First we had ‘play slow then fast’ religion, now we have ‘don’t play slow, play fast’ religion. Pendulum has swung another direction.

1 Like

Well, @Troy is not exactly a giant like Paul Gilbert! But he can definitely play this stuff incredibly well.
That being said, there is obviously the aspect of talent, but I don’t think it is necessary to be ridiculously gifted like PG just to play this. Certainly makes it easier to learn though!:grinning:

2 Likes

I don’t ever believe in the genetic thing - I think everybody could play
guitar at a high skill level - it’s all about the passion and effort you
put into it.

There are many ways to get the motion path to get over the strings, maybe it’s just a missing mechanic combination:

Deviation
Rotation
Flexion/Extension
Elbow
Shoulder

I’ve tried most - the only one I havn’t tried is Deviation and Flexion/Extension. I will try this - I do know it’s difficult once you’ve learnt Rotation, I’m super lazy and so is my picking hand and I know it’ll try and convert deviation + extension into rotation.

1 Like