The Paul Gilbert Lick

Considering that he was able to learn and to use mechanics of Yngwie, Batio and other shredders… he is not a giant, he is a freaking ninja!! )) With that magic jutsu of copying opponent techinques

4 Likes

I just listened to this intently, and I can clearly hear the swipe, even at full speed. Try to listen to this harmonically, instead of the individual notes:

He alternates between e-d#-e-d#- etc.

and I can clearly here an “h” ringing out. (or “b” for you non german fellas)

and look at where his first finger is: 12th fret b-string. Which is also the string that has to be swiped when playing this lick with DSX. So lets kick PG off the pedestal a bit! :wink:

It still sounds amazing when he does it though, when I try to swipe this it sounds like a mess! You probably need to develop at least some part of the USX to get it to sound THIS good.

Your swipey version already still does sound good to me though! I think you’re just incredibly hard on yourself

3 Likes

Don’t forget - it took PG something like 8 years to get his picking to that standard - there are people that sortbit out in a matter of months!! Alas, I am not one of them…:joy:

2 Likes

It’s unbelievable how many picking styles Troy has cracked the code on. And yes Troy rips a pristine version of the PG lick @ 190 bpm!

Just on the genetics thing - I want to clarify that I obviously am on same side as @shabtronic with this - that is why I have been putting myself through this brutal process! lol

I think “If Paul Gilbert can do it - why can’t I?”

It is a huge challenge. But I have improved immensely already. It is definitely not easy. Paul Gilbert admits this has caused a lot of trouble for a lot of people. But I’m not giving up.

thanks again - I’m returning to my swipey version to see if I can clean it up

It’s a good point - I’m sure he worked very, very hard to get his style together

So , my latest process is taking on @tommo 's suggestion of the “play fast” approach - focusing only on the switch.

I am not trying to play the full piano lick yet - just the original lick.

So I actually only need to get a double switch (2 x reps) to 190 - not a full trill.

So I am practising JUST this fragment- (messily and swipey ) as fast as I can

-----12-----12-----

–15-----15-----15

Then once that is together I can look to blend it with the rest the lick.

2 Likes

Only suggestion I would give is to do it in short sessions, and also together with the rest of the lick, or other licks that present the same challenge.

Or you could write an etude that has some PG licks together with some other riffs and melodies in between. This could make practicing less boring but also give you a more realistic sense of what these lines feel like in context.

By the way, I hope you are working on other (more enjoyable!) things at the same time :slight_smile:

Hehehe I see what you mean, but my current view is less drastic than that: I think all (musically useful) speeds should be practiced - but practicing at different speeds will make you learn different things / can fix or create different problems.

3 Likes

Yes! Great advice - I have already been putting this fragment into some little melodies to make it more interesting to practice.

1 Like

I was wondering, does the pepsi lick fall into that Category? That is for dsx players and starting on a downstroke.

The critical string change is the same - from an upstroke on the first string to a downstroke on the 2nd string, which can also be swiped.
@tommo since I know you can do both licks really well (the easy gilbert and the pepsi), do these feel similar to you?

EDIT:
“Easy gilbert” - HAHA! As if…

EDIT 2:
I messed up - In my head, I had the pepsi lick reversed as ascending sixes repeating, but it is actually descending sixes! And that is unswipable in DSX starting on a downstroke. For it to present the same challenge as the Gilbert-lick you’d have to start it on an upstroke. Or play the ascending version starting on a downstroke.

1 Like

Still trying to find those other videos - will search over the weekend.

now I’m trying pure deviation and flexion:

with this gilbert riff

U -------------5–
U ---------5------
D -7->9---------

DUU is a bonkers way to play that - hoping that’s the key!

That riff is from this vid:

2 Likes