The power of konnakol quick lesson ta ka gi na tom 5s solkattu

Here is a fun thing I came up with to try to help with 5s. Make sure to use a metronome, and say Ta Ka Gi Na Tom aloud as you play these two licks. It can help break the monotony of always using sextuplets.

If you want I can put up picking instructions for different picking variations, Economy, Gypsy, Alternate etc etc, and I can add a suggested fingering if need be, but I figure most players here have different tendencies in this area so I left it alone.

I can’t even say this 2x in a row without fumbling, unless I do it really slowly. Is this a tongue-twister??? lol! If I change it to “Ta Ka Gi Na Na” I can say it repeatedly though.

Great post though, 5’s and 7’s were always weird for me when playing to a metronome. “Some” counting system that’s easy to say quickly. Here are some other syllable ideas as I’m sure we’re all tongue-tied with certain combos.

I think the important thing is finding something that works for you. If you can spit out “Ta Ka Gi Na Tom” as fast as Eric Johnson plays 5’s, more power to ya :wink:

1 Like

Dont focus to much on the speed. This helps you to flow rhythmically. Even this I have to start around 60ish bpm before I could get it to 100 bpm. The ear and brain finger connection gets stuck in these rhytmical flow pattern ruts. This can help to break out of it smoother, and help with rhythm melody comprehension.

Oh another thing is some of the other solkattu beat segments arent as good. But for some reason ta ka gi na tom seemed to work very well in the 5s area for myself. It might be because each syllable is different unlike if you did 6s where they reuse syllables so its not as good.

There is also another quick and dirty way I have found to tackle sextuplet rhythm with a single string 4s scale sequence. Basically just play through the entire lick with swing style rhythm all the way through, then double time it into sextuplets. This can help breakthrough the complexity of rhythmical hearing rut of scale pattern sequence of 4s in 16ths. Let me know if you guys want me to explain this with tab, I don’t mind tabbing it out.

How do you create more complex rhythmic subdivisions?

2 notes per beat = ta ka
3 notes per beat = ta ki ta

2+3 notes per beat = ta ka ta ki ta
3+2 notes per beat = ta ki ta ta ka

Is that how it works?

What about rests? Triplet with middle note being a rest is pronounced as: ta (silence in place of ki) ta?

1 Like

I think it can be different but its something like this,

2 ta ka
3 ta ki da
4 ta ke di mi
5 ta ka gi na tom
6 ta ka di mi ta ka and maybe ta ki da ta ki da
7 ta ka di mi ta ki da
8 ta ka di mi ta ka ja nu
9 ta ka di mi ta ka ghe na tom

Theres a good book on it here.

1 Like

Sometimes I find it fun to deliberately offset something that would be impossible to hear in another rhythm like a pattern 4321 but in 5s. this feels impossible hehe! because we are so ingrained to hearing it one way its so difficult to tell your ear and brain to pipe down!

Ok so here we go round 2! :upside_down_face:

I also feel like it might be a good practice to take a slow tempo, and go through each beat segment with a lick without stopping. So you can begin to learn the differences between them at a specific tempo.

Like this descending harmonic minor common run. Start at 60ish bpm or even lower, and learn to do it with 1 note per beat, 2 notes, 3 notes, 4,5,6,7,8,9 etc etc at 60 bpm. Then when you get them all smooth back to back without stopping increase the tempo.

Because I kind of feel like maybe everybodies genetics are different, and you might be better at some picking patterns than others. So this might help discover your strengths and uncover your weak spots.

Whats funny is I use this random babbel for triplets and sextuplets… I use to do this and try to keep up with rusty cooleys playing rofl!

Buh gi duh

I can say this one hella fast.

Another good one i found today was using 8+5

Ta ka di mi ta ka ja nu ta ka gi na tom. Since most of it is rather unique it flows pretty good.

1 Like

Now that one rolls off the tongue nicely. I can say that pretty quickly. If you’ll give me “but gi duh ta ka” for 5’s I think we may have a syllabic compromise :wink:

Or you could just say “one, two, three, four, five, one, two, three, four, five”. All single syllable you don’t have to memorize anything, and most can say them pretty fast.

Or just “ta, ka, ta, ka, tak” if you have to keep the convention.

depends on if you want to utilize it properly for polyrhythmic purposes. although beyond 5 i am not sure what they use as a standard when combining them, but i want to get that book he shows in his video.