The World's Slowest Guitar Player

I love Cracking the Code, I love shredding and picking fast, cool things. But sometimes I also like to slow right down and treat the guitar as a source for ambient synth-type textures.

Today I got a great new pedal called the ‘Plus Pedal’ which is a great tool for creating drones and have been having a lot of fun getting to grips with it. Hope you enjoy the piece I came up with.

8 Likes

Very nice but…

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6 Likes

Yeah, valid crit! :slight_smile:

Nice axe man. Both unit and guitar. :wink:

:bear:

1 Like

Thanks! I have several other guitars including a PRS that’s technically a ‘better’ guitar (stays in tune better, more forgiving tone, better sustain etc) but I keep coming back to that strat, I love it, the neck and the scallops just seem to fit my hand perfectly.

If you haven’t heard of Johnny Anderson, you should check him out. :smiley:

1 Like

Just did, pretty cool! cheers

Made another ambient piece with the PLUS tonight, almost hard to believe this is all a strat :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Johnny Anderson is the guy that plays the Chinese Yngwie models right? Like the one I toy with sometimes? I have real ones and the Chinese toy. I think Johnny’s are all Chinese. Those things shred though, for cheepies. lol. Can’t beat the price, the dimensions are all wrong on the guitars though. The real ones are bigger. Bigger bodies, fatter headstocks. Bigger fretwire, everything is bigger on the real Yngwie. My fat *** looks like Baby Huey holding the small Chinese one.

:bear:

3 Likes

Yeah seems to be copies in his videos… he can certainly play them but the tone is pretty nasty for my ears… ice pick-y in the extreme… hard to say if that’s the guitar or just the tone he’s going for. Serious shredding ability though, my hat’s off to him!

2 Likes

Yeah, they are. He stopped bringing them up because Fender had a few of his AliExpress videos taken down. I’ve chatted with him a few times. He’s using some kind of super hot Variac’d Plexi patch that you can download somewhere for the POD HD500. That patch is too hot, the guitars themselves sound pretty good. I made a few videos, of the one I have, on my channel. I’ve shared this video too much on here, but here is tone I get out of mine. Intonation issues is the only problem I have with it. I got it pretty close. I’m gonna start using 10’s in Eb on it. That should tighten the pitch up from my hard playing. lol.

1 Like

Sounds great, nice stuff!

1 Like

So the Plus Pedal is an Ebow in a pedal. Super cool, as is the design choice to make it like a piano sustain pedal. I’m a big fan of new stuff I don’t have to “learn” how to use.

I would say it is and it isn’t an Ebow… It has similarities and differences in approach. You get the long drones that an Ebow can create but you can use it on chords and layer chords/notes to create harmonic drones whereas an Ebow is pretty much ‘monophonic’ as it only works on one string at a time. You don’t get the same attack as an Ebow, it’s generally much smoother which gives a different feel to it.

I’m a fan of sustainer devices in general and have an Ebow and a Vibesware Guitar Resonator which gives controlled feedback at any volume.

In fact the Plus works great with an Ebow as you get a different tone to a regular plucked note with it, and it also works with the feedback that the Resonator creates, I’ll have to do a video showing those.

Regarding the pedal being a piano style pedal, yeah it’s a really nice choice. It’s not just ascetic though, it has two levels of volume you can get by pushing it half way or fully down, with a slightly softer tone to the half-way one.

I should probably point out that I’m in no way endorsed or involved with the pedal company, but I’m really delighted with it and think they did something really cool with it. As soon as I saw a video of it I knew I had to have it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Awesome vid! I love stuff like this :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it!

Cool! Just don’t tell the people at Gatwick Airport you got all these drones going :crazy_face:

1 Like