The Yngwie Sixes are hard

There are really only a handful of motions: USX, DSX, switching between USX and DSX, and whatever people call double-escaped these days, let me call it 2X here although it is surely the wrong name. Depending on the nature of one’s music, one might be forced to choose one. Clearly double-escaped is the most powerful, but it seems more error prone, hence it is likely safer to depend on USX and/or DSX when possible. Once this type of thing is figured out, by all means spend time trying to find fast underlying motions to support the required pick behavior.

I suspect that if one is picking and unable to say what they think the pick is doing, they’re not paying enough attention, and some thought in that direction might be very beneficial. Next, one should indeed look with a Magnet and confirm that reality matches expectations; if not, more room for thought.

I always wonder the following in cases where people upload a video sample and the reviewers suggest it is string hopping: “what underlying motion does the player think that they’re doing?” If their mental model and the pick motion don’t agree, it might be worth digging in further, as it is possible that there might be a misunderstanding of what USX, DSX, and 2X actually mean.

My best advice right now is to stop changing motions. Pick one and learn to optimize that.

With respect, continually changing motions trying to find the ‘right’ one is pointless. You become really mediocre at a bunch of stuff.

You’ll never stumble on “The One” that lets you play fast instantly. I’ve tried and it doesn’t work.

Even with the perfect motion, it will take time and practice to teach your body to play it at speed, consistently and cleanly.

Find a teacher that can analyze your playing and steer you in the right direction. They’ll help you define your best motion.

1 Like