Theory from beginner and up

I know there a lot of threads regarding various viewpoints on theory

I’m looking for something that starts basic and builds precept upon precept. …

I have a basic understanding, and many books on the topic… but I need to learn how to put it all together. …

I can’t read music…

1 Like

Styles of music you are interested in matter. Purpose for learning theory is important. What are you trying to achieve?

1 Like

I play / interested in prog. Rock, 80s, neo classical… I’ve always loved classical music, some flelamenco, jazz - di meola…

1 Like

A year ago I emailed Joe Stump with a similar question… here is his response

.Hey Nick the first order of biz in having all your basic guitar knowledge squared away -list below of some things

Modes of the major scales , 5 positions of the pentatonic, also harmonic minor

• multiple fingerings for each

Arpeggios , major , minor , diminished, augmented, 7th chord arps as well -

Knowing the names of the notes on the neck

chords/arps built of of each degree`s of scales you use and play in

Chord voicings - triad and 7th chord voicings

2 Likes

Nice to have things to check off in mind! The list from the artist of “some things” covers a lot. Your interests are pretty broad, as many of ours are. That can also be our downfall if we don’t manage our approach.

If you work through that list, you will learn a lot of practical components of improvisation on guitar. The list is knowable/playable… There are theory tidbits to learn along the way that one would inevitably face in conquering the list. If the list is meaningful to you, then there’s a place to get busy with a competent instructor, internet resources, etc. Have you worked through any of it? Did you get stuck?

Taking a common subject as an example. Every single thing on the list from the email Nick shared comprises other topics. In this case (and by no means exhaustive):

• 5 pentatonic position mappings amounts to 1 pentatonic structure. Can one play that structure on a piano or a single string?
  • What two commonly used pentatonic patterns live within that single structure, what are they called, and what does that mean?
  • What are the common additions to the pentatonic structure and how are they used?
  • What are the common modifications to the pentatonic structure and when are they used?
  • How does that pentatonic structure map into other methods of fretboard organiztion?

If one can ask a theory question, one can find an answer. I’d want the earnest student to take notes. The good news is that once known, it’s known. Best to know why one is asking the question and what the topic entails.

I have my favorite threads on here where most any question may be answered, including a couple of my own. Folks will find answers if they are motivated. Peace out, Daniel

2 Likes

Thank your reply. … I appreciate the time and effort.

1 Like