This is me . . . Hello Paul in England

Hi there dudes and dudette’s :grinning: My name is Paul and I am from torbay in England. I play an Epiphone Les paul’s And have just got today a slime green charvel so -cal.

I like 80s hair metal , sleaze and glam. I also like classic metal like deep purple, rainbow sabbath , Ozzy

and I like the classic shredders like Yngwie , macalpine, vai, Tafolla ,satriani , Evh, Lynch , MAB, norum, joe stump. Big fan of Nili brosh

I love and live for my music , I enjoy playing jam nights regularly and would like to play regular in a band .

I was a teen in the 80s so am no spring chicken but have a youthful outlook on life . I fell into the trap of playing acoustic guitar out a lot at pubs or just basic rhythm , it was an easy trap to fall into , I wasn’t fulfilled though as I want to play all the music I love from my favourite bands like poison, Bon jovi , Guns n roses, bang Tango , Aerosmith , motley crüe etc.

About a year ago I sold my acoustic’s and dedicated myself to electric, I even got a last minute gigplaying simple rhythm stuff on my electric for a bands last show , who’s singer and rhythm guitar had absconded lol.

Since new year this year I got three sings up to scratch complete with solos , only simple songs . I love rock n roll -Joan jet , lil devil- the cult and highway to Hell -ac/dc. I am currently working on getting my back in Black solo better. It’s ok at 90% speed but still sloppy at 100%. Also plan on getting, it’s my life and you give love a bad name by Bon jovi acceptable , and white wedding by billy idol.

I am also working on my alt picking with a lick similar to the famous Paul Gilbert exercise, about 24 notes over 2 strings 16th notes. I was happy with this at 100 even getting to 102 bpm but yesterday I dropped 10 bpm after 8 days (I keep a chart)

Single string is about 136 to 140 16ths comfy last time I did it.

I do things like start slow, then quick bursts , play only one rep of the phrase at a higher speed like 105 to 108 bpm in 16ths , spend a longer time picking at a very comfy speed like 86 bpm etc.

I was very disheartened when my speed dropped drastically last night but I will continue trying.

My exercise comes from Ben Higgins badass picking course, he is a great shredder here in the uk who did the 100 shredders video on YouTube and has some good videos.

Anyway. That’s my story. Rather long winded , hope to get some good tips, interesting reading , advice and join your community here. Best wishes, keep pickin …Paul :love_you_gesture:t3::guitar:

2 Likes

Hey Paul, welcome! I think you’ll be in good company here :slight_smile: Let us know if there’s anything we can help with. Lots of good material on both the forum and main site. This is a good place to get started: Getting Started Guide – Cracking the Code

1 Like

Thanks guys, appreciate it