Thumb index picking technique - Ben Wilshire

I’m not entirely sure the thumb movement thing is something you can just do by moving the thumb. Rather, I think it’s a consequence of the lines a guitarist plays, usually with economy and sweep picking as the basis. It’s a testament to how effortless and inuitive Yngwie’s system is, that his body seems to just know to use the smallest, most delicate joints and movements to produce insane speed and tone when given the proper environment of pickstrokes and note choice.

I took a lesson from Jon Li years ago. He’s a death metal guitarist (or was?) and uses primarily economy picking or at least did when I knew him. In person, it appeared as if only his thumb joint moved. At the time he said something to me I’ll never forget: “Do you really think any of these players think about these things?” We were talking about Eric Johnson and circle picking.

I responded no, but I didn’t believe it. It took years for me to realize he was right.

most of the “stars” learned as kids. Not a lot of conscious thought processes going on.

Us adults think that we can “brain” our way into things. In a way we can but I think we have to try to not lose the “just do it” aspect too

I agree. I think it’s funny that if you jump on YouTube and look at the comments sections for young players like Lisa-X you see a lot of people saying “I want to put my guitar on eBay!”

I think the response should really be “If a kid can do it, then why can’t I?”

im finding that many things are like that.

When u look at where Rick Graham was after 2 years of playing…just massive shredding. Then you hear Claus Levin say that he got the bulk of his skills in about 2 years.

Rather than depress us it should make us say “well who cares how long ive already tried, I SHOULD be within 2 years of massive shredding”

We tail chase so much though that we go in circles.

Im really getting back into my gym workouts the last couple months. Its awesome (after a solid 5 yr layoff lol).

Im pretty sure the same thing applies in the gym. if after 2 years you dont look radically different, you are doing some things WAY wrong

3 Likes

Any players out there use this technique but with mainly a DSX wrist setup?

I know how to do it just wondering if there are any great players that might do this with a more DSX style wrist placement.

Did you see this recent thread?

He says it’s a neutral setup and USX/DSX happens almost for free if you just change your angle slightly. To me that indicates if you wanted all DSX, you’d just slightly pronate a little.

I have used that thumb-forefinger technique in the past. Chris Brooks told me to not do it. A few other people in their videos have said not to do it. But I disagree with them totally. It is a viable technique to use. The pick is always in contact with the string which is good and you can make very small movements this way.

Did you take a lesson with Chris Brooks? What was his reasoning for telling you not to do it?

No I never had an in person lesson with Chris. He saw a video of me playing. He told me to knock it off because he said you can’t get any real motion with it.

I disagree.

1 Like

yet i could listen to this guy do it and sounds real to me…

in fact it sounds pretty killer :metal: :exploding_head:

1 Like

That’s weird because I could’ve sworn I’ve seen Chris Brooks use some thumb motion when playing YNGWIE stuff in some of his videos

1 Like

He used to look like pure index-thumb movement - I think that’s still the primary driving motion now, but he also has some slight forearm rotation going. Here’s an old vid, cued to his fast attempt.

1 Like

Yeah that’s really weird that he would advise against that then. I will say the weird thing I’m seeing here is that his thumb doesn’t bend. It’s different than the “trigger pull” thumb index finger motion. I don’t even think I can do this thumb motion with a straight thumb

1 Like

Was playing around with that lick last night. Maybe I was tired and towards the end of my practice but it was hard! He plays it so evenly and smoothly. Playing that lick in D like he did is a weird spot for the fingers. Gotta try it on my better guitar

I’m only guessing but maybe it’s contextual??? Ex: someone on here posts a critique where they’re trying to do forearm rotation and it’s not working. They also post an attempt of elbow based motion and it looks/sounds/feels great. Anyone on here and Troy himself would obviously say “throw out that forearm motion, it’s not working. Your elbow thing is awesome, do more of that”

In that case it’s not Chris saying that the thumb/index motion is bad , just that for the player in question, it’s not working so do something else instead. Cuz yeah, otherwise that is pretty hypocritical lol!

2 Likes

That’s what I’m thinking too. If what he saw wasn’t working well, then he might say that just isn’t gonna work… not necessarily talking about the joints in general though

2 Likes

Very true. And could def be the case. I like Chris brooks to have bought a couple of his books. Enjoy those lick videos he posts. I really wanna leave work early and go work on that lick haha

2 Likes

Does he talk about his own picking mechanic at all in his books, that you’ve seen? It’s kind of perplexing to me; I can’t mimic it because I’m not really sure what’s going on… I’ve done a brief scan of a few of his books on Amazon, just what was available to read for free, and the info on mechanics looked pretty general - but perhaps the good stuff is behind the pay wall.

1 Like

It’s been awhile but from what I remember, it’s good material like he knows his stuff, but it’s generally nothing you couldn’t find here or from his videos. What is perplexing about his technique to you?

Just his picking motion in general, like how he is using thumb-index. It looks to me like maybe (really pulling this out of my ass) flexor pollicis brevis for downstroke and abductor pollicis brevis for upstroke, or in normal human speech the muscles right beneath the thumb, and away from the guitar I can do this pretty damned fast. Can’t actually make it happen on the guitar, though. lol