Thumb Pain while playing chords

Dear fellows,

I recently started studying some different chords, trying to go a bit beyond the power chords and the pentatonic scale.

Usually, I do listen to people complaining about pain in the picking hand or the fingers of the fretboard hand due to significant stretches.

It isn’t my case, at least not yet.
However, I do feel strong pain in my fretboard hand’s thumb.

I am attaching a picture of how I have my thumb in the neck most of the time while playing.

Do you guys have some advice?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,
Ivo

2 Likes

My advice would be if the pain is persistant, go see a doctor to make sure there’s nothing wrong mechanically with your thumb or hand.

Don’t do like me. Like an idiot I pushed through pain and had to stop for months because I had a serious hand problem.

How much tension/strength do you put in gripping the neck for these chords? Seeing the chords themselves would be better since thumb placement varies (for me anyhow).

1 Like

The main muscular actor when you’re playing a barre chord isn’t the thumb, it’s the back. Rather than using the squeeze of the thumb to press down on the strings, keep the thumb in place lightly as a reference and use your back muscles/lats to “pull” your entire arm back.

2 Likes

Thank you very much eayottes,

Yes, it seems to be some tendonitis.
I’ll try to have it check ASAP.

Cheers,
Ivo

Thank you ShadowoftheSun,

I’ve never consider that.
I’ll try to do it for while, to see how it does work for me.

Cheers,
Ivo

I agree, and I had to find this out the hard way. I relied to much on my thumb for a ‘fulcrum’ and it really caused issues with my thumb/wrist, to the point where I had to stop playing for a couple months.

I’ve since adjusted my form to use more of the top of the palm for most of the pressure. I’ve gotten to the point where I don’t have to use my thumb at all anymore. It feels very comfortable, and more reliable.

It is interesting.
I am quite ok to use the palm when I am playing power chords.
However, if I am playing something more complex that requires a bit more of finger twist I have to put the thumb in the back.

I’ll give it a try.

Cheers,
Ivo

1 Like