Time to Level Up

Beginning my own thread to document my journey. I’ve definitely been looking to make some improvements and hopefully level up a bit. I’m attaching 3 videos that I took last week. I had contacted @Tom_Gilroy to do some consulting on my right and left hands and he asked for a video of me playing sitting down, standing up, and a video of my picking hand, as well as a video down the neck. So I have 3 videos that cover these positions (did the best I can with filming). Some things I think I am weak with: 3-5-7 G major run on Low E; my left hand gets all bent out of shape and my left arm/elbow contacts my hip and basically gets blocked from moving freely. I definitely want to get better with strict alternate picking. It’s not something I ever really tried to nail down for an extended period of time. I’ve always been weak with downstroke escapes so I’ve been practicing that a bit before these videos were filmed and some progress was made. For the longest time, I’ve been a USX guy and I mix in some legato/economy whenever necessary. It is much much easier for me to start 3NPS runs on the low E with an upstroke and I think this is because of my right hand setup and how my wrist naturally deviates a little bit which you’ll observe in the videos. So I want to work on a better neutral setup to allow for optimal mixed escapes when I alternate pick licks with various notes per string. I had my first consult with @Tom_Gilroy today and for the near future, I will be working on left hand positioning to eliminate unnecessary tension and proper right hand placement for these specific goals. I don’t have any sort of set schedule for filming new videos, just whenever I feel like it I guess, but I wanted to keep some sort of record of my journey and share it with others. Feel free to ask questions, compliment, critique, whatever, let’s just keep it fun and professional.

4 Likes

Well, you sound really good already! So I’m excited to see what a “level up” from this sounds like.

3 Likes

Thanks man! I hope i can level up going to take a lot of work unlearning some bad habits!

Yeah I know what you mean. I think Troy said something along the lines of “there is no unlearning, just learning new things”. Truth, but as they say, old habits die hard.

Good luck!

1 Like

You sound great man! Good job!

1 Like

Thanks brotha appreciate It. Time to go super saiyan now though!