Tips for playing fingerstyle technique?

I have a hard time playing both bass and melody lines at the same time. I was never good at piano because my left and right hands cannot work independently and now I have the same issue on guitar. Any tips? Thank you

This book really helped me -
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1910403334/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ygpmFbM9MFF38

Also this guys lesdons are excellent. He also plays some really nice chords.

Practice all the basic fingerstyle patterns.
Practice basic travis picking.
First you play melody notes on The same beat as The Bass then syncopated in between.
Also learn a lot of songs and etudes.
It takes a lot of time to get fluent so enjoy your Practice.

What kind of fingerstyle playing are you interested in? Tommy Emmanuel has some great starting steps for independent thumb play:

1 Like

Thanks for all your replies. Im just trying to play some simple pop songs fingerstyle. For example Memories by Maroon 5. I can play the melody, I know the chords and bass line. Individually those two elements are simple enough. But once I try to play them together, my brain just freezes. I think this requires a completely different mindset… how should I approach this? Thank you guys.

Tommy Emmanuel is a beast. Would be nice if I can play even half of Classical Gas. And yes I know Marco’s channel. His playing is really advanced tho for me…

Memories melody is pretty syncopated against the beat…and the bass line although sparse is syncopated as well…so it’s reasonable to struggle with it. Look for something to start that is mainly 8th note based in the melody.

Ah you mean this particular song is syncopated? Suppose ill try something else. Thanks for the tip

1 Like