Tips for position changes?

I’ve been working on position changes but my fingers don’t want to cooperate. If I’m playing in box positions everything’s cool but once I start moving up or down a single string my fingers get all floopy and unsynced. Here’s an example:

Untitled

Consider each measure as separate exercises. I can blaze the first measure exercise repeatedly at almost max picking speed but measure 2 is a mess. It’s the same fingering and picking since I use swiping so it makes no sense to me why my syncing goes completely out the window. If I repeat each triplet in the second measure the syncing issues mostly go away but can’t play it nearly as fast as measure 1.

Even stranger is that if I do the position and string change I can play it way cleaner and faster than on a single string. Any help?

1 Like

would really help to see video.

I’ll try to get a video together in the next day or two, have to get one of them youtubee thingies :slight_smile: It’s gotten a little better after some dedicated practice last night. Since discovering CTC guess I’ve spent too much practice on string switching and apparently not enough on single string.

Maybe the string change is slowing down your picking hand slightly so you have time to move your fretting hand to the new position. On a single string you’ll just be picking at max speed and the fretting hand can’t keep up.

2 Likes

That’s it! That totally makes sense. Did some more practice this evening and it’s getting there. Found the training mode in TuxGuitar and it makes metronome practice for these little exercises more streamlined.