Tips on USX motion vs DSX motion

I’ve been going thru the PICKSLANTING PRIMER\WRIST MOTION videos carefully and need some input. What’s the difference in motion between the most mildly supinated USX motion and the mildly supinated DSX motion? Troy seems to describe them pretty much identically unless I’m missing something.

Same 10 o’clock arm approach angle, same trigger grip, same slight wrist extension, same slight supination, same wrist deviation in the ulnar range only. So what’s the nuts and bolts difference in motions to give you pick motion following the USX plane vs the DSX plane? Anybody well versed in this stuff got some guidance? Or Troy himself?

Thanks

1 Like

If I’m understanding your question correctly (how to achieve DSX and USX from the same setup):

Then, the answer is that the wrist will move along different axes for USX and DSX.

Using Troy’s clockface analogy: from a lightly supinated setup, DSX is approximately 8-2, while USX is approximately 9-3

The difference is in the direction the wrist travels.

If playing on the g string, a usx motion would start above the plane of the strings, strike the g string and now be between the g and b strings, trapped. The upstroke comes back the same way and finishes, escaped.

A dsx motion would start trapped between the d and g string. Strike the g and finish above the plane of the strings, escaped, on the downstroke.

That description is probably confusing, but there is a how to guide in the primer that describes and shows it in detail. Maybe you missed that section?

Thanks guys. Got it. I went thru that whole section again in detail. Appreciate your time.

1 Like