Tone and picking technique?

Hope this is the right forum for this post, first one I have made. Apologies if it is already covered, but it doesn’t seem to be directly listed.
Does anyone else notice that the guitar tone they have drives a lot of what they play? When I am playing, it seems to dictate how well I perform or even practice because certain tones don’t work at all well for smooth even picking? For example, if I had a tone that was ideal for AC/DC Angus Young sound, that type of Plexi power amp breakup doesn’t translate well to consistent sound for picking. It would be easier for me to play fast with a clean tone than with that sound. But for chords, or blues licks, it is pretty good.
I like a tone where I can get the notes to sound relatively consistent attack wise, but I am not a fan of compressors so I don’t use one.
I also don’t like a lot of fizzy sound so I have never really been a fan of Boogie amps. However, some people seem to get great results with them.
Anyway, what I am getting at is do you (any of you) feel that part of playing fast, articulate picked phrases is getting the right tone, whether it is clean or dirty, it has to translate well to the pick attack?
Quite a rambling post for something that probably could be said better in one or 2 sentences…

1 Like

Yes. :slight_smile:

Observations, may or may not be relevant. If one uses high gain, one is likely compressing the signal, so in some ways, one is playing with a compressor by a different name. Also, not all Boogie tones are fizzy. Much to be learned with rolling down volume pots and tone pots to a varying degree, and using just the right amount of distortion. (Same is true of fuzz pedals for that matter.) This subject relates to the recent one on plugged versus plugged, so if you didn’t catch that one, might be of interest. Peace, Daniel

3 Likes

It’s yet another aspect of the code to be cracked.

1 Like

Certainly - I recently got a nylonstring with a cutoff and set the strings low, for pickstyle (as opposed to the high action needed for classical fingerstyle). I have a V-pick (large, pointy) that I really like the sound of especially on acoustic, but I don’t like the chirp sound that I get when I angle the pick. So as a consequence, I (almost) don’t angle the pick, when I use that guitar, because I like that sound better - even though angling the pick seems to make it slightly easier to push through the string. It sounds almost as full as the finger/nail combo.

2 Likes

Tone is entirely contingent upon the number of blinkie lights in your rig. I don’t understand the question.

1 Like