Tony MacAlpine's picking technique

Sure, let’s get the ball rolling - the first two google hits I’m getting are two pretty high quality EMG TV videos, and even if the angle isn’t ideal, the footage resolution is excellent at least.

Gotta guess a little here, but my feeling is downward slant, heavy use of economy picking:

1. Pick angle isn’t a perfect predictor, but it’s certainly constistant with a downward slant
  2. He sweeps a fair amount, and for the most part he tends to do more sweeps from the bass to the treble strings followed by scale runs back down than up-down sweeps. The one exception that jumped out at me is in Tears of Sahara’s second solo here, but I’m not convinced those descending notes aren’t just hammered. Look at 3:45 onwards or so on Poison Cookies, where he plays a section of sweeps with descending parts, where it almost looks like the first two repeats are picked, until it’s clear that the 3rd is NOT.
  3. While I don’t have a good look at what the pick itself is doing at speed, particularly in the second video, “Poison Cookies,” you get some great shots of his forearm while he’s locked into a fast run… (really good stuff starting around 3:2). And I’m seeing no motion that would indicate a two-way position shift for an escaped downstroke. To be fair, as a guitarist with an UWPS default position who rotates for escaped upstrokes, I just may not know what to look for here. He DOES seem to be working the degree of edge picking with his thumb a bit, though…?

Only other piece I can add is I’ve read Macalpine’s rig was quite popular with other Shrapnel guys back in the 80s, because it was so compressed that it made faster lines feel effortless - another reason I’d be more inclined to suspect he favors a directional slant and relies heavily on legato techniques (and, watching this, his seems pretty good, I think I’d always assumed he picked more than he does) to get out of problem situations rather than using a two-way slant.

But, this is speculating based on an incomplete picture, so I’d welcome some other thoughts. :+1:

2 Likes

Nice! Split this off to a separate topic just to keep things organized, lmk if you want me to change the topic title to something more descriptive.

1 Like

Nah, that’s totally cool - good call.

Really would love someone more familiar with his playing or his technique to weigh in here, actually, as look at the arpeggios on Poison Cookies, starting just after 3:40:

So, I’m not a great sweeper, and I don’t do much with tapping… but, having occasionally tried to play arpeggios like that with a tapped note and then get back into playing position in time to sweep back down to the bass strings, it is NOT easy to get your pick back into position - his approach of just picking over the fretboard helps (and honestly should have occurred to me), but it also looks almost like he’s lifting his hand away from the guitar on the way back down, like it’s floating OVER the strings, and not actually picking anything. It’s certainly possible, with the amount of gain he’s using, that he’s just tapping notes rather than sweeping them, on the way back down, which (IMO) would be a pretty strong tell for an upwards slant orientation.

I thought there WAS a brief vid of Tony somewhere in the CTC catalog showing where he throws in legato to make it work? am i mistaken? I KNOW ive seen such a clip so its either here or maybe on Ben Eller or similar sites

Yeah we do have a very brief mention of Tony here in the Cracking the Code MAB “Conquering the Scale” episode!

3 Likes

he has some stuff on youtube

1 Like

Huh, cool. And sure enough, he’s definitely leaning a LOT more on legato for descending runs. I’ll have to go back and re-watch that Conquering the Scale episode after work.

Just looking at a few fast picked runs in the first video, I’m seeing a lot of escaped upstrokes with a supinated forearm position; motion based largely on compound wrist movement (there’s a major flexion/extension component). There also appears to be some funky finger/thumb movement going on, though that could partly be an illusion because of how the angle of the of the hand changes as wrist moves, but I would say there’s definitely some finger/thumb stuff going on.

2 Likes

Yeah, I can’t figure out what he’s doing with that - maybe controlling pick angle? Not sure why though…

I never understood how players with that grip are able to keep the pick in place, especially when they add finger movement. With that setup I would drop my pick after 2 notes!

Holding the pick between the thumb and side of the pointer finger…?