Tosin Abasi's Selective Picking

Hey - I was recently listening to Tosin a lot and looking into his technique, a friend of mine suggested this video and it’s been super useful for thinking about these hammer on out of nowhere + double picked patterns so I searched here and didn’t fine much in the way of selective picking discussion and though I’d post it.

All of these pretty much work well with a single escape motion and the concept can be combined with small legato runs followed by Yngwie-like economy, double picked stuff, really whatever. End of the day it’s about coordinating combos of palm muted hammer-ons out of nowhere with relatively low effort picking to create this rhythmic wall of sound.

7 Likes

Love it and everything else Tosin does. The hammers from nowhere are criminally underutilized to simplify complex picking sequences-- before I got into CTC and RH technique I used a lot of them. With a bit of compression and bit of LH practice you can even get them going on clean tones.

2 Likes

Agreed - I’ve always had solid legato being left handed but my alternate picking was just okay, after really focusing on alternate picking a long time, feels nice going back to/incorporating legato and muting and not worrying about having a strict picking pattern but getting really cool sounds out of it.

I made up a little 3 string arpeggio etude for this, pretty much would work with any 3 string sweep shape, hammer on, pick 3 times, pulloff and two hammer-ons out of nowhere to descend

2 Likes

Oh lord, that etude seems impossible if you are unaware of the selective picking factor. Really impressive and musically beautiful.

Is this how this absolute sorcery works?