Transcription of Troy Grady's "arpeggio picking" lick from Instagram

Rhythm is kinda off in certain areas, tell me how I did!

1 Like

Looks fine to me. I moved this to its own thread. Not sure where we put transcriptions, Show and Tell? Tommo can advise if he’d prefer it goes somewhere else.

1 Like

So I have got to ask where did you pick this up, or what were you playing around with to come up with this, I think it’s pretty cool. The only country source I can really think of off the top of my head is what Levi Clay was doing on YouTube, but that was a few years back. I don’t know any other tablature that was done in this area, other than probably learning it all by ear.

Show and tell seems a good place (I edited the title for clarity) :slight_smile:

This little snippet is definitely useful to the ever growing crowd who wants to learn mixed escape stuff.

Only “critique” is have is that I would have loved to see these motions under the magnet!

2 Likes

Not sure where to chuck these, but a couple more shapes I came up with this morning with coffee that feel good to play and sound pretty cool:

C11 (i.e., C7 with 9th and 11th, not sure I’m naming that properly since it’s been over a decade since I took a theory class)

E|-------------------------6--10--
B|----------------------8---------
G|---------------7--10------------
D|------------8-------------------
A|-----7--10----------------------
E|--8-----------------------------

Cmaj9:

E|------------------------7--10--
B|---------------------8---------
G|---------------7--9------------
D|------------9------------------
A|-----7--10---------------------
E|--8----------------------------

The fingers are such that one can sequence them in fours as well. Not sure if threes would work. Five is right out! :grenade:

3 Likes

These are both great and I use them both. The 11 shape is the one in the example. These two are totally core shapes for domininant and major when you’re in the E-shape “barre chord” area.

2 Likes

Oops, my bad. I didn’t realize I’d recreated your own idea! :laughing:

cf. Shawn Lane / Eric Johnson, Newton / Liebniz. We’re in good company!

1 Like

Was practicing this one again today, and this one is like making my left hand feel all twisted up. the faster you go the worse it gets! :smiley:

@Troy

Where are you anchoring your setup when you do this style of phrasing? And do you apply more pressure to prevent the wrist from doing other motions?

I keep seeing this on my related slices so I was revisiting it this morning. It is amazing how quickly the body relearns this stuff. Somehow all the fingerings and motions just snapped back into place in about 5 minutes. And I never do strict alternate picking at all. :rofl:

1 Like