Transposing a melody meant for synth, is this playable?

So I really like a lot of Electronic music and wanna rockstar it up a bit with some shredding

One of my favourite melodies is this synth line in My Only Star with the fast sus arpegios, I can do the sus arpegios up to speed (like one out of every three attempts, definitely need slow practice)

But the fast pedalling between the root note and the fifth in the bit with chords my picking hand just wont move fast enough, I think the technique needed is cross picking, and I’ve watched some videos on here, gonna watch and practice a lot more.

I’m just curious if this can actually be done, or is it just too fast, can anybody in here do cross picking as fast as it is in this song?

The bit of the song I’m talking about is at 4:06 and I’ll link a tab I made for how I’m playing it

Sounds doable to me, then again I haven’t given it a shot. Have you attempted it yet?

1 Like

I would say just start with a upstroke or use the open b string.

1 Like

I would also start with an upstroke and keep it outside picked. It’s completely possible to bounce between two strings like that from 170-190 BPM pure 16ths with outside picking.

1 Like

I have attempted it.

Basically I can do the sus arpegio taps cause my legato and stretching is pretty good, but I need to practice slowly to get the consistency

I totally screw up the sus arpegio bit when I try and play it as part of the piece though, the transition is something I’ll have to practice on its own.

With the chord part, I’m doing outside picking, so I start with an upstroke on the B string and I’m trying to do the technique where there’s a constant rotation of the wrist so that you’re always angled for an escape motion. I’m usually almost exclusively DPX , my downward pickslanting is super weak atm that’s another thing I’m practicing

1 Like