Travel of the pick

Kiko loureiro seems to have a somewhat similair technique as Martin miller.
Also the small thumb/finger motion going on and very small movements.

Super great excersises here:

1 Like

Could you please post a vid of your picking motion with the elbow tracking?

Hey Andjoy, I’ll try and post something later today. Are there any specific patterns you want me to play?

Thnx man! No specific patterns, just want to see what the motions are.

ok. I picked two patterns that tend to be tougher for alternate picking. Both are picked at moderate speed ~140 BPM. Anything faster, and its really tough to see what’s going on (especially cuz of my crappy heavy phone on my flimsy mount shakes too much).

Blues Scale Alternate Picked

Alternate picked 4 string arpegio

My picking stroke is wide, and is double-escaped, so I don’t have to worry about slanting. My pick-stroke pretty much never changes… it’s a one stroke rules them all technique. Hopefully you can see the tracking is happening almost entirely from the elbow (arm). It’s really helped with awkward patterns… and I can still go pretty fast with it.

1 Like

Thnx! Totaly can see what you are doing, works great!

I am also expirimenting lately with the more-thumb-over-the-pick-grip, seems gives a lot more stability.
I think you have pretty big angle since i hear that brushy sound which Paul Gilbert also likes. That is something i don’t like, i want to have a litlle less noise fom the pick .

Here is the way i pick most of the time. Try to keep everything loose.
I am now in a proces i want to change some things. Want to go more in a straight line and want some thumb/finger motion goin on.
But this vid is my normal way.

2 Likes

Cool. I noticed you have a bit of a circular motion going on. I actually kinda like that… it can help sorta smoothen out the tempo a bit… and I’ve found myself doing the same thing as well.

The brushing sound I’m making is mostly from the pick texture. I use a 1.5mm vinyl pick, and I sandpaper the edges. But sometimes I prefer a smoother sound, so I’ll use a more ‘buttery’ triangular stubby pick. My edge angle is actually fairly small … at least compared to most others here.

I am a big proponent of using the fingers/thumbs. For me, it helps me escape the strings.

1 Like

I am not realy aware of that circulair motion, it just happens with keeping everything loos.