Tremolo and technique feedback

Hello,

Just started picking up the guitar again after a ten year sabbatical. I always had a pre conceived notion that I could never be a shredder. My mission is to be able to do long runs like EJ stuff, but more for blues jamming and improv. So I want to build my speed.

After watching the primer, I realised my most comfortable way to play fast without any tension is my usual picking method. I seem to be able to get some moderate speed with my pick hand, now I am thinking the challenge is getting better with my left hand and synching up better.

Would love some feedback on firstly my technique but would also love to know if people agree that it is synching that will get me on my way based on my pick speed.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Cheers

Stuart

Hey Stuart. If you are comfortable with that, super! It’s an elbow motion I think, which I don’t do myself, but I think a few people here use it. I don’t know what BPM you’re at but it sounds like you could do some good stuff with it. You could look into other motions if you wanted too, but if you’re looking to make good progress then my amateur take on it is that hand syncing will take you to a good place. Cheers! Jz

2 Likes

It’s fast motion, it looks like there is a combination of potential escape paths it could go in…there is evidence in the slow mo that you are rest stroking on the down stroke…so potential USX here…or at least close. The elbow movement encourages USX…which may conflate your escape path…but personally I wouldn’t get too caught up in that just yet…

I think your next step is getting some single string lines going (hand sync), then switching strings…allow it to be sloppy and go for longer runs (i.e. two-ish bars long). You may subconsciously adjust your technique as you are experimenting with this and end up with more evidence of weather or not your escape path is truly USX or DSX at high speeds.

The Petrucci exercises you are doing at the end are played much slower than your tremolo playing…try not to do that. You may end up using different techniques at different speeds so…you might not meet your objective of hand sync at high speeds.

There is a hint of the EVH/Steve Morse extension/flexion…at the 3 second mark…for a few fast notes…then more elbow kicks in.

This is a good case…I’m interested hearing what some of the others have to say about this motion.

1 Like

That’s great advice. I wasn’t warmed up on these, so they’re sloppy. But yeah, my thought as well, need to work on synching.

Hi @stuz1987, how is it going?

The tremolo seems fine - though it looks like you are holding back a bit (I’ve been typing this often recently :slight_smile: ). Is this the fastest you can do or is there more in the tank? Are you familiar with / have you tried the table tapping tests? If so, how do they compare to your picking speed?

I agree with the others that the motion looks a bit elbowy. That suggests DSX (downstroke escape), but I can’t tell for sure from these shots. As usual the best test for this is to just try and play some licks that only change strings after downstrokes, and see how they feel.

On this note, a word of warning: the chromatic Petrucci exercise you show at the end is a classic example of a USX lick (all string changes happen after an upstroke). If your motion is indeed elbow DSX, you may find it very hard to speed this up smoothly. One possible option is to start on an upstroke - or practice a different lick :slight_smile:

Free video on EVH-style table tapping test:

Relevant Primer section: