Trilogy Intro, Yngwie

Good lord… of all the things to miss, I miss that.

3 Likes

That video is a really good example of how he keeps changing things.

2 Likes

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

Here’s when he did it closer to your tab:

2 Likes

And another:

2 Likes

I finally checked this out, great job man!

:open_mouth::+1:

2 Likes

Thankee, Hanky! (obligatory characters)

1 Like

He says it is because he wants to keep things interesting for himself, to keep challenging himself and be refreshing. But we all know the truth… I think the last concert when he did things full right was ´85 Japan tour. Playlist is awesome, his playing clean, Soto sounds amazing as well as the others from the band. And he played things like they used to sound and please your ear.

1 Like

This is wow. Maybe too fast, but still wow.

I am not too knowledgable about Yngvie’s history… but he sounds great there… and I think he still sounded great in the 90’s as well. Then it starts to get kinda irratic.

Is this from just too much partying?

I can’t believe its age… because I’ve seen people in their top form well into their 60’s.

Yes, it’s a long story, it was discussed in length in an earlier thread “young yngwie vs older yngwie.

1 Like

Thanks… was just reading that now. I didnt know about the car crash and the coma.

And interesting about E.J… I remember hearing about Eric Johnson becoming completely obsessed with clean playing in the early 90’s… I heard he wrote cliffs of dover way back in the early 80’s but refused to release it… until he could figure out how to get it clean enough. His early versions do sound a bit sloppy:

1 Like

On the one hand I know what you mean, on the other hand I’m looking forward to the day I can play as sloppy as that.

1 Like

wow, really cool to see this performance. The tempo is quite high and it all sounds raw and improvised, sometimes rushed, but he manages to land on his feet every time.

It shows how difficult this piece is. I love hearing “less than perfect” performances and demo versions, because it makes you realize that many pieces have to evolve and motivates to keep working on your own musical skills.

1 Like

Yeah… EJ sloppy is still better than 99% of us on our best days.

1 Like

Jesus. He looks 16. And still sounds like himself, albeit modern EJ having a slightly off night. That’s nuts.

Yeah I think the fact that he’s actually 30 in that vid is maybe even more staggering than his pentatonic runs.

Yeah… an immature look, but a mature sound. Kinda like Rick Astley. :slight_smile:

1 Like

He was 30 for that? Good lord, lol. The oversized 80s suit he’s swimming in doesn’t hurt, probably, but here I was thinking I was aging well, lol

I think his best live rendition of Cliffs of Dover was in his most oversized suit:

After 4:00 in… he just takes it to an inhuman level of improv.

6 Likes