Trouble with picking technique

Hello all,

I’m having trouble with my picking technique and I can’t figure out what’s really wrong, I tried a lot of things and at this time I’ve got a hunch what it might be about. I think I maybe hold my pick weird, instead of having an even point with both sides sticking out evenly I hold it more tilted towards one side, see picture. I also included a video of me playing a technical solo and you can hear me struggling with the picking, maybe you guys gave some tips?

My questions :

1. Is the way I hold my pick werid, should I try to relearn myself how to hold my pick?
  2. Any things you guys notice from the video on which my picking technique could improve?
  3. I wonder which pick might be best for technical picking, I’m now torn between 3 different kinds (I’ll include a picture). I mostly use a lot of different techniques which best compliments the part I play and my favourite way is mostly economic picking.

It would be great if @Troy or someone of the team could maybe give me some tips as well as you guys! Thanks in advance!

VIDEO :

PICK HOLD :

3 PICK CHOICES :

• Dunlop Jazz III (the famous small red pick)
  • Dunlop 1,14 Gator Grip
  • Gravity Striker standard 1,5 (a pick like frank gambale uses)

Greetings,

Tygo

1 Like

Hi! Thanks for posting. In general, I don’t see anything wrong here, and I don’t hear anything wrong here either. What’s the problem exactly?

If you think there is a problem with your picking motion, a simple exercise example where all the notes are picked is a better way to demonstrate. Have you watched any of our videos on escape motion or pickslanting? The simplest phrases have only one type of escape. Meaning, all the string changes are upstrokes, or all the string changes are downstrokes, but not a mixture. If you record an example of a phrase like this, that will give you a much better idea of what kind of picking motion you are using, and if you are doing it right.

The clip you filmed looks pretty good. I would just get a little bit closer up with the camera, and a little bit more “down the strings”. Here are some tips on doing that:

2 Likes

Hey @Troy, thanks for replying.

I believe so that there is something off with my picking motion and I can’t really find the problem. I watched your video’s they are very informative but I still have some issues. I made a video as you requested with slow down and two different angles. I believe that there maybe something off with my wrist or the way I’m holding my pick but I’m not sure.

Hear me struggle in this video:

Thanks!!

2 Likes

Hey @Tygo thanks for posting, the filming angles are much better! It appears you are going for the Gambale approach for scales?

The only difference is that Gambale would play an even number of notes on the highest & lowest string to ensure everything is swept. Instead, you introduce some “inside” string changes on the top and bottom strings. Let me know if that makes sense :slight_smile:

In general this doesn’t look bad, only problem I can see is that the timing is a bit inconsistent. A weird suggestion could be to… try and play it faster (not worrying if it comes out sloppy at first)! See if the speed leads you to a smoother movement!

If Gambale picking is what you are going for, another thing I would recommend is to have a look at the recent YT feature (posting the intro here, from there it’s easy to find all the parts):

Finally, I still like @Troy’s suggestion to show us some licks within an even number of notes per string, i.e. something playable with single-escape motions. Try starting both on an upstroke and on a downstroke and see what works best. These are the licks that usually reveal the “best” (or easiest/simplest) picking motions a player can make.

2 Likes

Hey @tommo, thanks for helping me out!

This makes perfectly sense to me, I also chose the inside pick change purposely. I’ll try the Gambale way, maybe it’ll suit me better.

Most of the times I start way slower than this, I tried so make a faster movement for the video but I never really tried to do it faster if I had struggles. I’ll give it a try!

I watched this last when it came out but I think I can study it more!

I’ll come up with some lick the coming days and make another video to further analyse my problem! Really love how you guys are trying to help me, I really appreciate it. If I just started subscribing and if there is something else I can do back let me know!