Troy Grady Playing Shawn Lane Music

@Troy I have read that you posted YouTube videos of you playing Shawn Lane music but I did a search on YouTube and did not find them. Is this just a rumor that there are videos of you playing Shawn Lane music and if not, how can I find these videos?

Apparently way back in the day he did. Or at least he had a Lane lesson and cannot seem to find them anywhere. I feel like he should redo some of the Lane stuff and go in depth on a ton of the licks. That would be so incredible.

1 Like

I have a video of a Shawn Lane lesson Troy gave at some stage a lot of years ago. Troy is playing a red Washburn guitar and is playing examples from So What and tracks from Centrifugal Funk. I always save videos from Youtube that I think are really special and that are unlikely to be reuploaded anywhere else.

I think that would be a great idea. Shawn Lane certainly deserves it and I bet a lot of Masters Of Mechanics subscribers would appreciate the opportunity to learn how to play some Shawn Lane licks. I would!

Yeah I could see an entire group of guitarists migrating over here to see what CtC has to offer purely from some new Lane lessons. It may offer more exposure as well.

While Shawn is in general one of the most intersting and gifetd misicians I know I have to agree :slight_smile:

Anyways, I would be interested in seeing Troy playing in general, all that samples look so flawless to him (on guitar and piano) and he always picks or generaes tasty patterns, just I have the impression I never saw him making music pleasing himself - not that I think he dislikes what he plays, just it’s always educational.

1 Like

Troy did a Shawn Lane lesson a looong time ago but we no longer have the video anywhere online. Not really up to our current video quality standards. However…we still have the original blog post for this lesson!

We just took another look at this, and updated so that the audio / tablature display properly. We only had the notation in custom format from a much earlier version of the Cracking the Code website but we salvaged it via the Wayback Machine. See here:

Maybe at some point we’ll find some time to do a new video on Shawn Lane. Not on our current roadmap but I know a lot of people would be interested.