Troy's clock Face

Got this free vid in the email but i am not sure what i am lookin’ at! 2:00 through to 2:10 on the video

can someone explain the animation to me please? That’s right folks, I need cartoons explained to me all the time

what’s the orientation of the clock to the guitar face?

The blue and pink lines…strings?

the 5 bands of moving dots! :slight_smile:

I made this quick graphic to explain it in another thread, hope it helps!

Thanks PP66…still strugglin’ :slight_smile:

It would help me visualize if i could get a handle on where the 12 was…fer instance, 12 = fretboard end and 6 = bridge

You’re thinking of the clock as flat on the guitar, when the clock is actually perpendicular to the guitar

The clock face gets misunderstood some times. The most important thing to remember is that the clock moves with you, no matter how you hold your guitar.

Here’s the easiest way to think about it. Hold your hand straight in front of you, fingers extended, so that your palm faces the floor. Your thumb is facing 9 o’clock and your pinky is facing 3 o’clock…That’s it!!! If you rotate your forearm so that your palm faces a wall, the clock has moved with you! So, your thumb still faces 9 and your pinky face 3.

The relationship of the clock isn’t to the guitar so much as it is to the player’s own wrist/hand. Since we all hold our guitars at slightly different angles and positions, thinking of the clock as relative to the instrument could cause confusion.

1 Like

is the movement we see in the animation the diagonal picking line he talks of in the video?

If my line above line is true and the clock face was flat on the top of guitar the 9 would be the fretboard end and the 3 the bridge PUP?

oH Btw THANKS GUYS :wink:

Again, forget about the clock being connected to the guitar. Focus on doing the motion Troy is doing around 2:37 in the video. The point of the clock face is (using my example of extending your arm and having your palm face the floor) if you did the EXACT motion Troy is doing at 2:37 in the video, your downstroke would hit 2 oclock.