Troy's mixed escaped run video analysis breakdown

i could have sworn i was in the playing technique when i was creating this thread so if you guys need to move it thats fine since its not my playing. :smiley:

also i am fully aware if you guys need to take this down that is fine, no harm no foul.

the thing i find fascinating is that near the end of the video you start exaggerating the motions during the slowdowns. particularly the pause before hitting the next note at the top is very similar to the half rest stroke in gypsy style. then as you begin the musical descending portion you basically flip flop gypsy rest stroke since the wrist is more planted so you rest during the upstrokes, which often times can be seen because you clearly go all the way to the string after an upstroke, and if you hit that downstroke if its the last stroke on the string before you switch you can see the half rest stroke downstroke begin to occur when you switch strings. heck you can even see the half rest stroke upstrokes during the musical ascending portion. seems like its all dependent on if the wrist is either planted or not, and being aware of how these motions feel and operate, to be truly free in your playing. now i am wondering if we worked on double up planted wrist runs if it could help strengthen our picking all around, well mine at least as i am more gypsy wrist slant oriented naturally, and less the planted wrist which the pick escapes the opposite.

so are you particularly thinking about these up and down rest strokes as they occur when you do this run? because it seems to also happen on the downstrokes as well.

even right off that low a string that last upstroke you can clearly see the wrist half rest stroking but opposite, half rest stroke upstroke. except you go back into the down instead of another up like if you were doing true traditional down rest stroke.

and i have probably not analyzed this with correct wording as it can be hard to clearly explain things descriptively with what little terms we have come up with. but i clearly see upstroke rest strokes, and i am not sure if you are turning the wrist or back and forth, or possible both. but to me pure wrist for my body has the least amount of tension, now if i try the back and forth hand wave i have to tense up my arm to get it to go as fast as what my wrist turning motion can go. if i dont tense up the speed is about half of the speed i can achieve by turning motion.