Trying out TWPS again. Am I exaggerating the motion?

That’s very cool! It sounds like it is more compatible with DSX so are you sure you’r doing USX? I remember doing spontaneous UUDs back when I did pronated DSX unconsciously, long before CtC. :slight_smile: Please feel free to share videos of this. It would be interesting to see!

1 Like

@qwertygitarr initially meant to reply to you with this but I’m seeing my post doesn’t have the reply to arrow with your name on it

Here is an old video of my
Playing for this forum where I demonstrate the Gilbert lick starting on upstroke (don’t remember if I do any UUD here tho) but the next lick is from
The Miracle Man solo with Zakk and Ozzy. Maybe after a new look at it it’s not so much USX as I thought. I still think I’m slightly supinated with this setup and if I were to do it today I would still feel slightly supinated. Let me know what you think. Either way, my point is I think even with slight supination, inside picking and UUD feels easier to me. Here’s another example: Brandon Ellis Betcha Cant Play This pentatonic lick - YouTube

Brandon Ellis does the DDU economy sweep for
This run. When I try to play this at my fastest speed, I always go DUU instead of DDU for when he does two notes on one string and comes back for one note on the prior string. Maybe it could be I didn’t learn the lick properly and learned it closer to what’s better for me? Idk haha but my above statements still
Hold true. My YouTube video is below for my
Playing.

As to everyone else who responded to my questions I will read it tonight and get back to you!

1 Like

@carranoj25 Yeah that looks great! It’s kind of hard to determine what pick strokes generate which notes since the sound is so distant though. So I have a hard time seeing where you are doing UXS or DSX in these lines and that’s also because of your very minute motion changes. Super cool! Do you feel the changes physically or does it happen more or less unconsciously?

1 Like

Yes sorry this was filmed with a GoPro awhile ago haha clamped onto my headstock I think. Cant wait to get optimal footage with a magnet. It started unconsciously but I can feel wrist or forearm motion now when I do it. I can also feel how much easier or smoother it is to “turn my wrist or forearm” to inside pick than it is to get the pick to come outside and over the string for a downstroke. But you’re right they are minute changes so it can be hard to see. I think what I’ll do next is try to get a good video of me doing that Brandon ellis lick. That should show better my DUU preference since it happens across all the strings

for my techniques i feel turn key usx motion as very tension free compared to thumb heel plant dsx dart thrower. and yes dsx dart thrower feels more natural than usx dart thrower, maybe its because the motion follows through on the downstroke which is the escape stroke, so if you roll your thumb heel to more on the pinky heel side as you start on dsx to convert it to a more usx upstroke escape sure it can feel somewhat easy to do. but start at that same speed as dsx dart thrower in usx dart thrower heel plant? nope. so in some ways i can see what you mean, we must share similar picking traits. the problem i see i have with planting is that i have more tension when i plant on the low e string, my lanky arms have to really scrunch up, this isn’t as bad when i place the guitar between my legs. but if i put it on my right leg my trap and shoulder will tense up if i am not careful. with a more free floating gypsy jazz rest stroke usx wrist when i turn my hand out to get setup in position it seems to free up that tension on my classical guitar. you can try this for yourself just thumb heel plant dsx dart thrower wrist setup on the low e string, then switch your setup to a free floating wrist gypsy jazz rest stroke usx setup, and you will feel the tension disappear in your trap and shoulder if you have long arms like me. even here my classical guitar is a thin body electric so i feel if it was more of a full body acoustic the tension would be even less with the gypsy jazz free floating usx wrist setup.

and somehow i can start out with a 5 sentence paragraph and turn it into one big wall of text. :smiley: sorry!

Yeah definitely, I tend to naturally plant on the higher strings with my current technique and when playing the high e my hands wants to become floating, there is less tension that way but more noise to worry about, though it can be done

I’m also more comfortable playing the top four strings but I think I’m becoming more comfortable with playing the A and low E with small natural adjustments over time

I have a feeling this is quite natural when learning wrist-forearm USX. 95% of everything Yngwie plays in this clip is on the top four strings. I’ve time-linked an example of one of the few times he goes down to the A and low E and his technique becomes more elbow based:

1 Like

@qwertygitarr took these two videos today. let me know what ya think (anyone else can chime in too)

i show a down the neck angle and then from out in front. Pretty sure I do my DUU combo takes first and then DDU. One video is the main lick from Miracle Man (zakk wylde solo) and the other video is an attempt at the Brandon Ellis lick/video I posted

1 Like

like take the 1 3 2 fragment kinda idea and start on the low e string so 3 2, 1 3 2, 1 3 2 (if you need me to show tab example let me know, the snake thing one note, sweep into next string 3 notes, sweep into next string 2 notes, upstroke escape back down one string, repeat. but start the fragment in the middle so start with 3 notes on the low e string.) but instead of planting free float the wrist you will feel way less tension to accomplish that style of run from the low string way easier. but i use rest strokes as well so it helps also.

Yeah that’s cool! Still pretty hard to see clearly when you go from DUU to DDU but they both seem to be just as effective for you. Your sound is very gainy so it’s also hard to hear how the sound of attack sounds. But hopefully the both techniques sound the same. Great playing anyway! What’s the difference in feel?

I realized now that the DUU you do is a multi escape lick since you need to clear the strings in both directions. So I would think that de DDU would be more efficient since it’s a one way lick but there seem to be no speed penalty for you. And then I remembered that I do a similar lick that is DUUU and really fast, and it’s also a multi escape lick. And now trying the opposite version, DDDU, wasn’t at all as easy to get even and fast.

Here is those licks I mentioned, DDDU first and DUUU second. You can see that I keep doing a rather exaggerated slant change in the DUUU lick but it doesn’t seem to slow the lick down. There is some hick ups in there but to be honest the later lick “feels” easier normally. What do you think?

1 Like

Yes my apologies for the sound! It’s really not as gainy as you would think. It’s because I was using the pc webcam as a microphone to pick up my sound from my iLoud micro monitors lol. So it’s probably getting super compressed somewhere. Not sure how else to do it though. I think you’re right in that your DUUU lick felt or looked like it felt easier. Id be curious to see you try that Brandon Ellis lick both ways or even the Miracle Man solo lick both ways.

It might also make more sense in regards to my videos to clarify the sequence more. The Miracle Man lick is UDUU really when you start it over. Same with the Brandon Ellis one. It’s any lick with 3 notes that has to go back to the prior string I think?

Been trying to analyze this for awhile and I think the basics of it is that coming back to the previous string after an upstroke, it is easier to just turn the wrist like turning a doorknob a bit more. To go back with a downstroke after an upstroke is more of just making the wrist move to the radial side (radial deviation i think)?

Great playing though man, love your form

Well, I tried some of your licks (kinda) and found that for most other things USX feels more natural. The Miracle man thing works with DUU but becomes a little bit jerky with my slant changes. Both are quite hard to get rhythmically perfect.

The Ellis lick I couldn’t really take the time to learn so here is my version that is more or less the standard EJ 5 note lick. I probably need to plug in an amp next time so you can hear the guitar properly.

To me this works so great with USX and felt so janky the other way that I couldn’t really do it that way. The most important thing is to get it rhythmically even through all the sweeps. I think to get it to work I really have to push the pick INTO the plane of the strings quite hard. So there is a sort of positive tension playing these EJ style licks.

Maybe I need to really exaggerate the supination and the downstroke going into the guitar body? Idk maybe my hands are just weird lol

No I don´t think there is any wierdness with your hands, they look great and having a more stable setup might be a recipe that works in the long run. It clearly seems like that from Troys findings. Of course you can try a motion that is more slanted but your hands will tell you what feels the best. To me that feels more stable attack wise and rhythmic wise, so I have to go that route.

1 Like

Yes I was only kidding.gotta do whatever ends up working and sticking the best. What did you mean by a multi escape lick tho?

Haha I see. :slight_smile:

Ah sorry. I forgot what it was called. Multi escape meant using both USX and DSX motions paths for one lick, ie TWPS.

1 Like

Gotcha. I think ultimately my hands find inside picking easier and have adjusted for that. The EJ sweep I guess is technically outside picking. I prob just need to spend more time finding the correct motion or angle of supination to make it smoother