Trying this Sorcery called Crosspicking

I’m another one that got amazed by the power of DWPS and UWPS. Still working on the 2WPS (sometimes it works good, and sometimes I just got confused ok it’s a natural movement to do).
And then we reach the Crosspicking… It’s amazing and challenging in the same proportion.

I’ve been trying to study this using the Morse and Lee stuff. Great analisys, good tips but still a hard thing to achieve the movement(s). So today after been a little frustrated with and in serious doubt if I’m really in the right direction or not I recorded a few videos, the quality is not that good but I think that it’s good enough for a quick analysis.

If someone could take a few minutes to watch it and gimme a feedback it would be awesome.

Thx.

2 Likes

I looked at all three and the third looked like it would have the most use in rock. The others would only work if you’re using a completely clean tone which is used in rock but only a fairly small minority of the time.

What kind of context are you planning on using these in, such as what does the rest of the song sound like? If it’s not a cover song then what song by what band would you compare it to?

It looks to me like you’ve got the basic idea of it now, so I’d suggest using a more typical rock or heavy metal tone because controlling distortion properly is something that takes practice. If you accidentally allow the notes to run together even a little with a distorted tone, it will be obvious to everyone. What you played sounded fine; but it’s good to practice with both clean and distorted tones because that will prepare you for both situations.

How long have you been playing guitar?

Next time you record, play something a little bit longer before you switch over to slow motion and if you have the option, use a slow motion that isn’t quite so slow. This slow of a slow motion setting isn’t necessary unless maybe when playing something extremely fast.

Good job.

1 Like

First of all, Thanks man!

To be completely honest with you, my focus on the Crosspicking stuff is to play clean parts, inspired in the classical music and some of that banjo rolls bluegrass stuff. And I was only doing some exercises to develop the technique.

When playing something with distortion there’s only a few licks where I change the way I hold the pick to use crosspicking. But only a few that I’m not comfortable with the other mechanics. And of course I’m interested in the way Morse plays the arpeggios, I never really enjoyed the Sweep.

But I’m gonna practice more with distortion, and thanks for the tips in recording, like playing it for long and don’t make it so slow.

I’m playing for 9 years now, but after the RSI it has been like learning how to play again.
Thanks again man!

1 Like

What was the RSI you had and how long did it take to heal? Did you do anything specific to make it heal faster and could you play guitar at all during that time?

Using the Medical terms I had two types, Dystonia and Epicondylitis. For complete heal took me 5 years, in this 5 years 2-3 years 100% without guitar and the rest only 1 day per week or 1 day every 2 weeks…
I had a lot of physiotherapy, like 2 sessions per week, a lot of exercises and stretches in this sessions. After being healed I started going to the gym to create better and more resistant muscles.
Nowadays I can play the guitar with almost zero pain. Sometimes I need a few small breaks, have to stretch and warm up properly but most of the time I’m good to go.

But I needed to start again when we talk about mechanics, so DWPS, UWPS and even 2WPS are very positive things to me. And now I want Crosspicking to have the toolbox complete and play again like i used to do, with the not efficient mechanics.