Trying to learn DWPS

I’ve been trying to get used to DWPS playing from time to time since I became aware of Troy’s stuff. Still it feels unusual to me, and it seems that I can’t get speed higher that certain metronome mark. I’ve recorded a small clip of playing 2-string ascending arpeggios. No slo-mo version, sorry (my phone can’t do that), but YouTube slo-mo function does it pretty well I think. Would like to hear your comments.

2 Likes

That looks pretty good. What happens when you try to speed it up? I don’t think you’re doing anything wrong, maybe you just need to get used to it more so that you don’t end up switching to a different technique when playing it faster?

2 Likes

When I speed it up, something like this happens:

I guess it is a sync problem because of the right hand, which has difficulty when doing DOWN-DOWN, and also some awkwardness when doing UP while in DWPS position.

1 Like

Sounding good man! I like to create different chunks or cells when speeding things like this up, and also moving the arps around is a good idea. For example, using these two string arps, try playing four notes and then stopping on the 5th on a dime on the metronome. Or three and then stop on the 3rd note. Also, sometimes when you stay in the same position mental and left-hand fatigue can lead to synching problems, so try moving to different positions and resetting to re-prime yourself. Lastly, I like to max out the metronome for where I can play 16ths w/ tremolo picking comfortably, say 170-180 bpms, and force myself to play there as relaxed as possible. Then go down to 100-120. Then go in the middle, then back down, then max it out again, that kind of thing. Good luck, the basics of what you’re doing look nice to me!

2 Likes

Yes, that definitely looks like a synchronization issue. It’s always hard to keep rhythm with sweeping, so that is to be expected. I can’t do this perfectly at higher tempos either. The picking hand seems completely fine though.

2 Likes

Been practicing such shapes and I think the main issue here for me is upstroke on the 1st string followed by downstroke on 2nd string. Somehow It feels awkward no matter how I position my wrist etc. I don’t know how to overcome it.