Two way pickslant section gone

Why has the Two Way Pickslant section disappeared from the Pickslanting Primer?
Is it best to follow the exercises in the Antigravity section now?

Sorry for the confusion! We removed that section because it has long been a little bit confusing and incorrect in the way it explains what’s going on. The new “Picking Motion” section of the Primer presents these topics a little more correctly. Here’s the section, which is up now:

Specifically, here’s the updated version of what the “two way pickslanting” scale playing section used to cover:

The rationale for no longer calling it “two-way pickslanting” is explained at the end, but I recommend reading through the whole thing to get the big picture.

To be clear, “two way pickslanting” is still a term we might use to specifically describe the orientation of the pick changing from one pickslant to another — for example, like what Frank Gambale does for sweeping. But it’s not a term we will use any more to describe the practice of combining different picking motions to play a scale. As you will see on that page, there are ways of doing this which don’t involve any “pickslant” change at all.

More importantly, the old “two way pickslanting” section did not take into consideration that people use different picking motions. An elbow player, a forearm player, a wrist player all need some method for playing a scale, but they will use very different physical motions to do that. So a wrist player watching the old section wouldn’t really be getting any information they could actually use.

So we’ll be adding more tutorial type stuff over time, but they will appear in the section for each picking motion that you are using, because the methods are all different. We’ll send out updates when new material is added, as always.

2 Likes

Thanks. I am currently rewatching the Pickslanting Primer and the new Picking motion section. I do like It and it lays out the information in a clear way, but as you say a tutorial exercise section would be good to develop the technique - this is just a suggestion though, not a criticism :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

For sure, those are in the works.

4 Likes