Two years playing from Phoenix, Arizona

I am a late starter. I picked up a guitar for the first time when I was 48. That was 2 years ago, and I have made fairly typical two year progress. I can play, and I sound like I’ve been playing for only two years! The little things are coming along with practice (muting, timing, accuracy, sync) and some days it all clicks and I play better than I have any right to.

I have been married for 26 years and have two teenage kids. My entire family thought I was having a midlife crisis when I showed them my new electric guitar and amp. They were supportive but a little concerned…what’s up with dad!

Anyway, I’ve learned a lot in two years playing, including I absolutely love it. I practice every day and since I work from home because of Covid, I get to practice during work (don’t tell anyone!). I have made a lot more progress this year since I can play and practice for more than 2 hours a day most days.

My favorite music is 80’s-90’s thrash, 90’s grunge/alt. It’s what I grew up with. But I also grew up listening to late 60’s through 70’s rock thanks to my older siblings and parents who listened to just about everything. Guitars have always been the thing. A band with great guitars, and I’m there!

I have never felt stuck or stagnant with learning guitar, probably because I haven’t been playing long enough. I still get better every week and feel excited when practice time is coming up.

I wouldn’t say I’m self taught. I learn from guitar teachers online, youtube, playing along with backing tracks, and books.

I joined up here because I saw Troy’s videos on Youtube and was completely blown away by the level of detail, research and excellence. I was hooked.

In just a few days, thanks to the info here, I have smashed through all speed barriers I thought were in front of me and am looking forward to incorporating this new found speed into my playing.

1 Like

Hi there! I’m decently close to Phoenix, up in SLC. Sounds like you have a great mindset on guitar as a whole, enjoying the improvements and being excited.

1 Like