Uli Roth - Sails of Charon

I still want to get this up to speed! I think Uli does it around 112 BPM. I’ve been stuck in the 98ish realm for years.

Anyone ever learned this one? I’m not even sure if this is how he’s fingering the left hand.

0:13 - error / trouble
0:18 - slow and close up on right hand

(gah! I shouldn’t have used a black pick!)

2 Likes

Cool stuff! I want to learn this one as well at some point.

Based on your other clip - the tornado of souls lick - you have a solid DSX motion. Would it be possible to rearrange these licks so that every string change happens after a downstroke? I’m thinking this may be possible by exploiting the extra time allowed by pulloffs etc., and perhaps changing some fingerings here and there. If you do that I think you’ll be beasting it in no time!

2 Likes

There’s a thread on how to do this:

For maximum Uli Jon Roth you should do 3-note-per-string patterns as downstroke-pull-off-upstroke; if you are feeling a bit more Yngwie then go for downstroke-upstroke-pull-off instead; if you are looking to DSX then maybe swap the up and downstrokes around.

There’s even a lesson on exactly this from Uli Jon himself in that thread!

4 Likes

sorry I didn’t reply sooner! really, really helpful. The only bummer is the key. Playing it in F stanks! Still, very validating. My own transcription of the notes matches this. Looks like plenty of wrist rotating is needed!

You can transpose the entire tab in the settings. Just shift it down a half step and you can play in E Standard if you don’t want to tune down.

2 Likes

oh! thank you!!!

This won’t actually work for inverting Uli’s picking approach, which is not a single escape technique. String changes can occur on both downstrokes and upstrokes. It’s really just 2WPS alternate picking with a legato slur in between.

1 Like

agree 100%. I’ve played this for 8 years and I can’t think how he’d do it without 2WPS now that I know what it is.

UPDATE:

I’m stuck on the string skipping section now. I’m not picking every note as @LuckyMojo transcription - I’m keeping the same motion he seems to be doing everywhere else —
Down Hammer Up.

Been trying to really rotate the wrist. That motion seems right and I think I just lack the speed and agility to pull it off right now but I’m posting here for feedback and suggestions.

I’ve come a long way with this. I can actually play about 75% of the solo at tempo!

1 Like

tightening the screws! Still not totally clean but I’m finally developing the finger strength to play that big descending thing without losing it.

after much experimentation, I realized I could maintain Uli’s down-hammer-up on the string skipping part. I switch from DSX to USX at 0:33 and it works normally but I botched it here.

there ascending lick before that is next on my radar. i’ve just been faking it because it’s hard to tell what’s happening on the recording.

4 Likes

It’s sounding great! Keep it up!

1 Like

thanks, @joebegly!!!

Great progress and great vibrato - you have learned quite a few legendary solos that are on my bucket list - I’m starting to get jealous :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well I’m ready to fly there and have a month-long intensive with you so I can steal all your skills. You’re still offering the month-long intensive, right? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Of course! It involves a lot more babysitting and housework than you might expect from a guitar camp, but it’s similar in spirit to that cleaning windows thing in Karate Kid. At the end you get the results :smiley:

2 Likes