Unaccompanied playing/Chordal Freedom

My friend has a new guitar shop and wants me to create videos demoing his guitar. The three videos below show the type of style i’d like to play; Unaccompanied, chordal mixed with some melodic lines and not to a time signature (free rhythm).

Does anyone know if this kind of playing has a technical musical name? They’re not songs so what are they? FYI Most of these guys are probably improvising these musical pieces. Does anyone know how i could improve in doing this? Whenever i do it i can improvise basic diatonic chords and some melodic lines but these guys are doing all kinds of non diatonic chords and chord movements. Start last video @ 7:30

Hello there! This topic is interesting, I really like this kind of playing, and have been working on it for the last 3 or so months (after work being really tired just wanting to making music).

Generally I start doing some loop, let’s say III - vi - V - I. Then I start messing with add2, 7ths and other notes that can make a “hang” to melodies between chords. And lastly I would think about chromatic mediants, Parallel chords or chromatics to add “color”.

Start simple, build something slowly and start creating like a recipe for later. Then you can have something worked out and become more “seasoned” to create new “recipes”

That’s how I try, hope it helps

1 Like

Seek out some Neo-Soul tutorials. I recommend this book by Fundamental Changes, and Kerry 2Smooth’s song tutorials on YouTube, to help you build vocabulary and get chord voicing and substitution ideas.

2 Likes