Unbelievable Anton Oparin!

This thread was going all Cobra Kai for a minute there!
Miyagi-Do, Cobra Kai, or Eagle Fang…which dojo kicks the most a$$?
Are the fees at Cobra Kai just too high?
Tune in to season 5 to find out…

Now where did I leave my headband?

2 Likes

That’s exactly the problem… or that’s exactly not the problem :rofl:! I am happy that other dojos exist and that people can learn from all of them. I don’t see the need for a “VS” thing in music education.

3 Likes

Videos of Anton’s students will follow.

That being said, I am sure it was not Andyjoy intention for this thread to turn sour, he just wanted to share findings, let’s keep it civil whenever Anton is brought up. Try to stick to technique and relevant matters, not tuition, personality, slandering, whose school is best, demanding IRRELEVANT evidence, etc

As tommo said, andyjoy posted this video in the hopes of having a constructive discussion about the biomechanics/science points made in the video. This somehow turned into many demanding footage of Antons students (which is not evidence, as you will see below…). This is not productive, we should be constructively analyzing the video while being respectful. I will post Anton’s students regardless, as they are great to watch.

Sergey posted them in the other thread, might have gotten nuked. I will post again on here. That being said, and please do not dodge this point: the truth of the claims being made by Anton do not depend in the virtuosity of his students nor of himself, he’s making claims about biomechanics and why certain motions hinder synchronization/ability to switch strings correctly/tension and so on and so forth. He presents proof of those claims in those videos, and the validity/soundness of his arguments can be evaluated regardless of whether or not Anton and his students can play to your standards (it turns out in this case they can lol).

Please address the point I just made, it’s crucial to see how the validity of science and arguments don’t depend on the person making them. The reason for that is hypothetically, Anton could be right, and still not be able to apply what he preaches. Or, his students may not have has enough time, patience/dedication/discipline to play with his exact technique. The arguments stand on their own two feet, not of the people making them, Anton or his students .

That being said, it turns out he can and there are some incredible Russian students Anton has coached. Here they are below. Notice how that does not add value or merit to Anton’s claims, I hope everyone understands the point being made, especially since I remain to see anyone addressing the claims he makes in the video, and now THAT says a lot LMAO. Here is the long awaited footage of students, still not proof of anything.

Proof, arguments, whatever you wanna call it , that universal technique exists is in the video, watch the video, and have a cool discussion about technique/biomechanics, which is what CTC is for.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRHLSH4IiU3/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

https://www.instagram.com/p/CU-Kg2dosLL/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CWs3giHoA2a/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

3 Likes

I actually watched the whole video that @Andjoy posted, the 2 hour long one. It was a pretty awesome watch! Oh and BTW he mentions Troy in that video more than once, says what a cool guy Troy is, praises his quality of work, and even encourages people to check out Troy’s program:-)

I’m glad the thread has cooled down, but just in case anyone even thinks I am a bot trying to get Anton sign-ups, I am not :slight_smile: In fact, I could more so be accused of trying to get sign ups for CtC, because I make comments all over YouTube about how awesome I think Troy’s stuff is and how anyone who wants to get better at picking should try it out. It’s kinda sad actually. I’ve ran into several people recently that I haven’t seen in YEARS and when they asked me how things were going or what I’ve been up to, somehow the conversation turns to this guy named Troy Grady that they really should look into lol! Short of getting an “I <3 Troy” tattoo, I don’t know how I could be more of a CtC fanboy.

So from that reference point, I’d say anyone who really enjoys the nerd aspect of guitar playing and has 2 hours to burn, that Anton video is an excellent watch. It shows ‘limitations’ and ‘flaws’ in the picking systems of some AMAZING players. Anton shows clips of them, plays a bunch of their stuff with ‘their’ technique, then his way. There are differences, and once you see it, it is hard to un-see. A little depressing in ways lol!

So, there is something different and special about his picking. Is it for me? Nah, I am a hobbyist. The other picking systems out there (i.e. joint/muscle movements) that I can already do are “good enough” for me. My playing will always have flaws and limitations and I have been working 7 days per week this whole year. I don’t have time to learn something new and go all in with it. If I were a younger man with more time, I’d give his program a try. But all that aside, that video was SO cool :slight_smile: I can’t imagine CtC fans not enjoying it. Unless Anton is so off putting to you that you can’t stomach watching it or something. I personally think he’s hilarious. Lot’s of tongue in cheek throughout the whole thing, so not to be taken too seriously. But damn. That is some of the most ridiculous playing I’ve ever seen. He maintains high tempos even when he skips 6 strings! He can play the economy picking arpeggios in Yngwie’s Trilogy Suite with alternate picking!!! All this with control of dynamics and accents. It’s unbelievable.

2 Likes

Tuition price is a very relevant matter, doesn’t matter how much anyone dares to dictate or sway around or through the matter.

Myself I am a thoughtful humble fellow, if I discover something I share my knowledge with my fellow man. This is how I roll, but if my opinion isn’t worth anything here I can leave with no harm no foul. Makes no difference in the end, I merely try to offer alternative resources for those who are financially struggling.

You can do that without slandering. You can just present the alternative schools.

Sorry, could you link a timestamp for that?

Sure thing

Joe, I have a quick question for you, since you’ve watched the video. Do you have a minute?

Hey man, been a while! Hope you’ve been good, but yeah I’ve got a minute.

This was definitely brought up first by one of the Anton fans (@Veryslowandinnacurat ), also pretty much repeated by @sergeylaz9512 in their flagged post.

Kind of ironic when I think everyone has universally praised Anton’s playing. The other 2 people that I tagged, however…

I think I started that, specifically as a response to the supposed superiority of his teachings. I watched the deleted links of his students, as well as the most recent ones, and again like I said… Good playing, but what’s the difference?

1 Like

Offenses came from both sides, I never said it didn’t.

I see you completely missed the point of my post.

Anyway I’m curious to hear anyone’s thoughts on the video. Only heard Joe so far, nice post btw @joebegly helpful to the convo

1 Like

I’m just wondering if you know of anyone on this forum who knows Anton personally/best friends with him, is a student of his being personally coached by him, and also has a comically meticulous track record and log of his results with the Cracking the Code system dating back to the first year this forum opened. In other words, someone who has skin in the game and is actually qualified to intelligently discuss the video based on ACTUAL ENGAGEMENT with both systems at a high level.

It would also be cool if this person was featured in Anton’s video for outclassing Jason Richardson, but I’m asking a lot here, Joe! People like this generally tend not to exist, because guitar forums are filled with big talkers who tend to slink away back into a hole when they get called out or have some bullshit excuse as to why they can’t provide a video.

It’s a big ask, for sure.

3 Likes

Yeah, that is why I came back lol! I wanted to talk about it. So much cool stuff in there. Now, I get it. 2 hours is a lot to ask. BUT I thought we are a bunch of guitar nerds??? If I told you there was a video of some guy playing a bunch of Guthrie, Yngwie, MAB etc licks, showing limitations in their systems (IMPORTANT: while NOT shading them as musicians in any way) and playing their licks, just like them, then playing it his way…wouldn’t that be a fun watch? Was for me :slight_smile:

Lol I know a guy! I actually ‘mentioned’ you earlier in the thread without tagging you, since it was a PM we had about it all.

1 Like

Look folks, I’m sorry but this thread is a goddamn dumpster fire. Anton is a great player, and I’ve told him so directly as well as any time I’ve had the opportunity to comment in public situations such as this. And technical discussion of awesome players is what we like to do here. But culty weird fanboying and aggro bro negativity in any direction, either on our part or on the part of others directed at us, is not my vibe.

Nobody here likes moderating this type of conversation, or deleting negative posts which do nothing but reflect poorly on everyone involved. We’re going to close this thread because at this point nothing productive is happening here. This discussion is also super long now and whatever focused information it contained is now lost in the sauce.

Feel free to create other threads to discuss specific constructive technical subjects related to Anton’s technique. Such as: How does he do [awesome thing XYZ]? What is the benefit of [XYZ type of picking motion]? If you’d like to repost some of the more recent items in this thread which are focused on being constructive, you are welcome to do so. However my word of advice is be specific as to what you what technical thing you want to discuss. If you just go back to “let’s talk about Anton”, you’re going down a slippery slope and inviting tribalism and negativity that just makes it that much harder for small businesses such as ours and Anton’s to do what we do.

6 Likes