Unexpected result from practicing 2wps chunks

So basically when I started to try the 6 note 3nps 2wps chunk, I only forcused on outside picking since inside felt weird. Then I procrastinated and never spend much time with inside or with patterns across over 2 stings.

Anyway, a few weeks passed where I didn’t pratice much, and about 2 weeks ago, I picked up the guitar, and something just seems to happen “magically”: I could play some phrases much faster than before. And because I could see my wrist rotation over string changes, I though that maybe, my brain figured out 2wps on it’s own without me really having to try so much.

But just today I tried to ppractice the inside picking 6 notes chunk, with strict 2wps form and I SUCK. But, I can speed thing up a lot if I want to, except that my hand does something completely different (looks even like the opposite of 2wps).

I know that a few months ago there was a lot of change with the terminology because it turns out there is more to picking than pick slanting angle. So I don’t know in what exact terms to describe whatever I’m doing. But it works.

My point is, it seems like by simply watching the videos and being aware of all the existing different techniques and motion that exist, opened up a lot of possibilities and gave my brain the permission to just experiment different stuff and readjust my technique to come up with something that works.

I really didn’t expect that to happen and I’m really impressed. I think one thing that really helped me with this is the Martin Miller video where he tells his student to keep pushing pas his speed limits. If you want to figure out to play fast, push yourself so you force your brain to figure out the most effective motion

3 Likes

I’m working through Antigravity and I think you’ve hit on a really, really key point. The value of Cracking the Code to me has always been its ability to serve as another conduit for learning, mainly in a visual style. Some people are visual learners, and having that reference for the brain to absorb and potentially manifest itself in your own playing is something awesome.

It’s funny, because for a long time I struggled with Cracking the Code materials, in that I never found any real utility for them. To me it was always like “Forearm rotation, wrist deviation, extension, flexion, who cares?” It’s not like if you’re “flooring it” as Andy Wood says you can even have a micro-level control of the motions. They can be analyzed after the fact, but still, besides the obvious mechanical nerding out, I don’t really care too much for retrospective analysis of my technique.

So after dipping my foot in the water and reading a lot of the “Who cares about the movements?” and assorted skeptical commentary on other guitar forums, I stopped watching for a long time. But after looking into the science of learning a bit more it’s apparent that the brain stands to gain from simply watching someone do something physical. And that in and of itself can be a benefit and a learning point without even necessarily having to physically do something yourself.

tl;dr: The presentation format/visual learning style and the practice strategies is the value of Cracking the Code for me, but I’ll concede I’ve always had a natural inclination towards picking up movements quick since I’ve been playing instruments since I was 5 or 6. That is admittedly a huge bias so I might be a bit out of line here, but even still I never really knew how to practice well.

1 Like

Great insight. There’s a lot to be said about observational motor learning, or as we better know it, monkey see monkey do! I noticed my playing is much better when I follow along to instructional videos as well!