Unpopular Opinion: Eric Johnson's style is amazing, can't stand the music

Tosin Abasi is kind of a weird fit for any type of blues-based heavy rock song - it’s such a different aesthetic. Guys like Vai and Yngwie were cutting their teeth on Zeppelin and Deep Purple, it’s in their bones to play this music. Abasi on the other hand, is coming from a totally different place - the starting point is like Meshuggah and Allan Holdsworth. The comparison is like saying “Picasso can’t color within the lines like any 6th grade art student.” That’s true from a certain perspective, but kinda misses the point: Genius style innovators don’t follow the lines.

1 Like

I subscribe to the same school of thought about Eric. I like everything about the guy. He seems humbled, amazing technique and tone, great sense of melody…

But the music itself just doesn’t appeal to me. It’s like not liking a certain food. Doesn’t matter how well it is cooked, if it doesn’t meet your tastes, it doesn’t.

Nothing in saying that takes anything away from the amazing talent Eric possesses.

Tones, Ah Via Musicom and Venus Isle are full of heart warming, soul lifting, magical music.

And of course guitar playing as refined as anyone has ever do.