Unwanted string ringing, particularly on higher frets

Hello! First video upload, hopefully angle isn’t too wonky. Would love to get my hands on one of those magnets at some point :slight_smile:

Since I got my new guitar (a used Schecter C1 Platinum) I’ve noticed a LOT of unwanted string ringing, particularly in the higher frets (past 12). I suspect due to the active pick ups, revealing sloppy playing. I spent several weeks trying to refine my palm muting and fretting hand muting technique, but have not been able to translate that to anything past very slow tempos. I’m curious if anyone has any tips of insight into how to address this, or if it’s even a problem at this point?

can you point out the string ringing?

I meant to reply to this (I thought I did, I guess my Internet messed up or something; I can’t hear anything particularly bad at all!

From like 0:36 to the end. It’s a bit hard to tell cause I did mess up the fingering there but you can hear it faintly ringing out. Upon re-listening it may be worse in my head/my perception than the actual reality haha.

Can’t hear anything either - but if I get hi string noise, I usually put my thumb around the neck - that pulls my hand into a hi string noise reduction position.

1 Like

It sounds like the notes ringing out might be caused by the left hand. I can’t tell for sure as I can’t see that close.

One thing that can cause this type of ringing, is if the tip of the index finger is in contact with the string above it ( the string lower in pitch). This is good for muting, if it’s very light contact. Too much contact will cause an almost pull off effect with the string lower in pitch when you change strings and it will ring out. Mostly happens when changing to a higher string.

Even with good right hand muting, I find that it can still be audible. So I’d say have a look and see if that’s what’s causing those notes to ring out. Also, a more close up video of each hand might help diagnose issues like this easier.

1 Like