Up stroke problem - Don't know how to solve it

Hello guys,

I am working hard on the Pickslanting Primer, just finished my picking motion chapter, and I am very much looking forward to the exercise tutorial section, can’t wait.

Anyways, I am working on the MAB exercise, which also Paul Gilbert recommend on two strings, but because of my DSX motion I am having problems with plucking that second string, in an upward motion since it hits (swip) and sound bad while hitting the string. Also, preparing for my next pick motion which will be a down stroke pick. I have tried to start with an upstroke motion, but it feels extremely weird at the moment. So, wondering if any of you have experienced this kind of problem and know how to fix it?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide. Best to all!

Here are some videos in slow motion:

Thanks for any help!

1 Like

Could you post some normal speed videos as well?

My gut response is that your need to palm mute slightly to deaden the swiped note a bit. I think I could help more with some regular speed vids.

Sure, here is the normal speed version.

1 Like

You may want to try using the tip of the fretting hand index finger to mute the lower string. As it is, you’re using the very tip of the index finger to fret. There’s nothing wrong with this, but I’d bet the swiping noise would become much less noticeable if you changed the fretting posture ever so slightly. As I recall, this is how Batio and Gilbert play this lick (someone please yell at me if I’m wrong).

3 Likes

Thank you so much for the tip. I will be trying that and see what happens. Appreciate the help.

Just for the record, I’m no expert and can’t play the PG lick to save my life, so don’t take that as end-all be-all advice, ha.

"Check out these licks, have some forumers resolve it…

pick pick baby…"

I’ll… I’ll just see myself out, the Topic title made me do it!

3 Likes

Not a problem. We are here to help each other. I appreciate your input.

Thanks, but not following what you meant.

Best!

In my head the cadence/sylables of the words in your topic plays to the same rhythm as

“If there was a problem, yo I’ll solve it…”

So in the call and response world I HAVE to finish the lyric with “check out the hook while my DJ revolves it…”

2 Likes

I am not brilliant at this lick myself, but have found with a DSX motion inside picking/starting on an upstroke was the way to go. With a bit of practice it sounds much smoother than trying to attempt it with starting on a downstroke.
I’m sure Martin Miller said that this is how he plays it in an interview

I second @eric_divers advice on muting with the left hand.

The swiping will get less and less noticeable as you get more comfortable with this.

I started out as a primary DSX’er too.

If your looking for an ‘excersize’ you could try pick planting and forward chaining. You can find those topics in the forum if you’re not familiar. In either case I used those strategies for no more than 4-5 min in a practice session…it’s…repetitive…and just incorporating that PG lick in to your your general improvising is…awesome imo.

My opinion is I only swipe if I can’t get the escape to work. If you’re having bunch of trouble I would focus on escape instead. So rotate a little bit Just on the bottom string note.

1 Like

Will practice it this way. Thanks!

Thank you. I find the muting with first finger was a brilliant idea. I have give it a few runs and it feels very weird still, but will practice it more.